Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Recommendations for 20l Jerry can

Doc007

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good Jerry can that will last a good few years without rusting/paint peeling from the inside and have a cap/spout that don't piss fuel everywhere?

The one that I currently have is filling the fuel with tiny flecks of fuel/paint that has come from the inside. Far from ideal.

#3 Wrightpayne is correct I had a number of issues with some fuel stations earlier this year when trying to buy fuel for our back up generator after a power cut caused by storms.  One fuel station would not allow me to fill two 5 ltr cans but would allow me to fill one 10 ltr can and you don't get away with filling cans in the boot because they check with CCTV.  I think I read that 20 ltr containers must be metal. There doesn't seem to be a hard and fast rule, all fuel stations seem to be different and probably depends on how busy the person is on the till.

I carried out a bit of research and I didn't like the negative reports of the metal containers, as mentioned above, petrol contaminated with paint from the inside of the cans.  I have issues with some plastic 5 ltr containers because the filler spouts do not seal properly.  I eventually went for a 10 ltr plastic container, the spout seals perfectly so I bought a second container.  The 10 ltr containers are easier to handle and pour than a 20 ltr container.  I bought these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B095SZWBLB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The design of the original jerrycan is so wonderful that, other things being equal, I'd buy a new NATO version.

+1

I bought mine in a Govt surplus store years (and years) ago to keep two-stroke mix for my motorbike. Still going strong (the can, not the bike).

"“Have nothing in your garage that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful.”

As the other William Morris didn't say.

Jonathan