Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Water in the plug recess

Alan Reeves

I built, ran, sold, bought back my 2011 Duratech engined SV

When i bought it back a check around showed water/rust levels on the spark plug rubbers ( tech name ...) several inches up . Strange. Well that was a few year ago and I never gave it another thought after cleaning and changing plugs.

Just been in for a service/mot and...front/1 has again got high levels of rust mark up the plug rubber. 

Now the plug rubber are tight and have a hat type seal to stop water entering plus there is a Carbon cover over all the plugs/head so I cannot see why water would have entered 

My original thought was condensation caused by standing in a tin roof garage without any form of heating and only doing 500 miles in 3 years, long shot. But these days it does 4k a year and is in a warm garage. I have also never added any water to the car since new so no leaking .

Anyone had a similar issue

alan

• Area Representative

JV #5 - Ditto. In ten years of running averaging about 3,500 miles a year & out in torrential rain never had this problem.

Probably going to quickly for rain to enter !

Overly enthusiastic washing of the car with a hose pipe may be the answer? I always remove bonnet & nose cone to wash separately. Use watering with fine rose to carefully wet/rinse body side panels.  

Hi Alan, does the spark plug and the rubber at the tip of the coil pack boot look similar to this?:

NOVNGKFIG5NEW.jpg.e05d8e32205541feb2edcac2bd9fb65d.jpg

If the metal part of the spark plug is not corroded, it is likely due to Corona Stain as opposed to rust, as there isn't any other iron or steel in the plug well to corrode. It is benign: https://ngksparkplugs.com/en/resources/5-things-you-should-know-about-spark-plugs