Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Annoying ratttle

Tim Smith

My 1.6k SS has a Caterham 4 into 1 competition exhaust which consists of the

4 headers coming into a collector which then connects to the silencer

section. The problem is that only 2 of the headers are held into the

collector by bolts, the other 2 just slide into the collector and rattle

annoyingly, particularly at idle and on the over-run.

Does anyone know a simple heat resistant fix, something like the equivalent

of plumber's tape that would stop the headers rattling inside the collector?

Exhaust bandage is too thick and I don't want to create some monstrosity

held together with jubilee clips. All cunning ideas gratefully received.

Tim

Try silicone sealant. I used it on my Powerspeed which has no clips at all holding the 4 headers to the collector and it's been fine, covered about 1500mls since fitting. This info was given from Powerspeed themselves.

Phil *thumbup*

Silicone sealant as in the stuff around the bath? Doesn't it just burn to a crisp or is there some special exhaust fixing grade that I am unaware of? Sounds good if it works though and well within my limited mechanical skills.

Tim

Tim, I have the same arrangement on my XFlow, and have just had a look at it. Although the two unbolted pipes are a slide fit, they are pushed fully home against the inside of the collector, and as a result do not rattle. Is it possible for you to push the pipes closer together, possibly by adjusting the bolt alignment on the pipes or at the exhaust end 🤔

terry

Trying to get out of the garage

You can get a silicone sealant which is OK at higher temperatures. I bought a tube in Halfords.

The first time I tired to seal the exhaust on my old car I used gun gum, which (a) didn't work for long and (B) made it a pig to dismantle.

The Silicone (orange coloured stuff) seems to do the job.

Bathroom sealant probably won't stand the heat.

Jonathan

I had similar annoying noise after getting my 4-2-1 fitted. Are you absolutely sure that rattle is coming from collector? My flatmate and I spend about an hour messing about to finally discover it was the engine mount, even though I had orignially put it down to the interference fit between the primaries and the secondaries. Replacing the engine mount fixed the problem.

C

Charlie'n'Kermit

The plan is: there is no plan

S5EVN

Think you will find Dow Corning Flue Sealant, from your local plumbing and heating shop, will do a better ans longer lasting job. Not much more expensive than silicone sealant, comes in the same size tube to fit the standard aplicator gun.

Had a similar problem with the lower 2 pipes in my 4 into 1 collector, this solved it.

It's definitely the collector that rattles, I wedged the headers with whittled down matchsticks last weekend and went for a quick test drive - no rattles. Unfortunately the matchsticks fell out so a more permanent fix was required!

Thanks chaps will get down to B + Q tomorrow and buy some silicon sealant. *thumbup*

Tim,

When you go to B&Q don't buy any of the acetic curing silicones. If it doesn't tell you on the tube then the smell is a bit of a giveaway (vinegar). I know everyone reckons it is not a problem buying off the shelf DIY silicones but I use the stuff all the time in construction.

Personally, I would go for Dow Corning 3-0105 or 3-0115 Automotive Sealant one part (single tube) alkoxy cure powertrain selants. 0115 is also described as non corrosive.

Failing that, don't whittle down the matches so much *thumbup*

Brian

Hi Tim

Well I tried everything none last forever so mine has a very slim stainless steel jubilee clip around all 4 pipes. The big problem is that the longer they rattle the bigger the diameter gets in the 4:1 collectors. Remember mine are 14 years old.

My solution last year was to swage out the ends of the downpipes. This has worked but one year on they do need resealing. I heated the ends of the down pipes to cherry red then used the wrong end of a socket that was very slightly bigger than the internal diameter of the down pipes. They are now very tight and the Holts exhaust past needed is just a small smear. The only downside is they are a bit of a pig to get apart. Just really takes a bit of patience and levering the whole lot up and down say 20 times.

Still that's a lot better than it blowing every 500 miles *eek* or buying a new set. If you do this make sure its a little at a time and maintain the heat or the socket will get stuck in the down pipe. *eek*. So its a 2 person job. Having said this one stuck but heating the pipe and quenching the socket freed it. So be very careful .

You can not see the swage's as they are in the 4:1 collector box.

I have seen a few with extra bits welded on and springs the owners claim this works but looking at the black exhaust marks on the pipes I have reservations. I must say others that have gained these springs seem fine.

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.