Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Gearbox upgrade ?

Tight fart

Having just bought a new engine to replace my crossflow I think I need to upgrade the gearbox.

The new engine is a fuel injected 2.0 litre Zetec *biggrin* and my gearbox is the original 5 speed Ford

that Caterham supplied when new (type9?)

Now the budget will be tight as usual, so what options are there for under a £1000 ?

T.F@O.F.

www.griptv.com

You could get a very good nick Quaife straight cut clubmans or professional 5 speed box for under a grand but it would be second hand. New prices about £1200. Or you could go more exotic, I sold a second hand Quaife, year old, ally cased, 4 speed dog box for £700 so they are around.

Buy from someone on Blatchat and it would probably be OK, they're pretty bullet proof and not stressed much in a Se7en. Buy from Muttering Nudes though and be more careful, they're much more highly stressed in a rally car, probably worth a strip down and good look by someone who know's what they're doing if it comes from there.

Hi westy

See DT catalogue. I am still planning on buying one after September, unless life takes a turn for the worst. You also need to allow for new clutch and flywheel and change to hydraulic release bearing to get the full benefit.

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.

They are the same price as Quaife

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.