Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fuel gauge not working

Gloucestershire AR

After some repairs on the car that necessitated removing the tank, the fuel gauge is not working. The needle comes up off its stop but reads empty even though the tank is/was full. I've since driven 90 miles and no real change.

The needle also from time to time now twitches but never goes up to its correct reading.

Is this likely to be a faulty sender or faulty (VDO - it's a 1998 car) gauge? 

If the sender had been rewired incorrectly (the wires switched) what would be the effect then?

Thanks all! 

The fuel indication works by the sender showing a variable resistance to earth.

You can start to localise the fault by finding the Green/Black connection on the gauge: that's the one that is connected to the sender. Disconnect that wire and with the ignition (ON) connect that terminal to a good earth. What does the gauge do?

But with your previous question about pipe fittings at the tank I suspect that that is where the problem lies. Once you know that the gauge is working find the sender and tell us what colour wires you can see.

Jonathan

Swapping the sender-to-gauge and sender-to earth shouldn't affect anything. 

But I'd want to be sure that I was looking at the right wires... are the fuel pump wires in the same area?

Can you trace either of those two Black wires to a connector with a Green/Black wire?

The one to a bolt is presumably the sender-to-earth.

Jonathan