Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Vauxhall 2.0 XE carbs or throttle bodies

Carl

Hi there

I have just bought a 2001 y plate with a fully rebuilt(by caterham agent) 16v XE 2.0 engine. The engine is currently running on manufacturer ECU and normal injection. I want to release the potential of this engine and I am contemplating carbs or throttles. I would prefer thottles for the fuel economy but I am not sure whether they are worth the extra £500. Is anyone running throttle bodies and does anyone know of a good cheap throttle body package? Best price I have seen is £1525 + VAT at QED which seems alot!

PS I will not be changing the standard CAMS

Thanks

Carl

PS I will be trying to get the Newcastle seen off the ground again like last year.

I've done the conversion from carbs to TB's. Well worth it. More instant power and lots more of it.

It really free's up the excellent properties of this stock engine. Admittedly I put a race exhaust on at the same time.

I've not driven a Caterham injection version. I assume it's nicer to drive around a housing estate than the carbs but a bit sterile and lackluster.

Mail me offline / look a pics and commentory on my website.

See under more stuff and race mods for pics etc...

Assuming the tank / pump you have is up to it then a 2nd hand pair of jenveys (perhaps like r horse poo)

and an MBE loom and ECU is all you need.... I managed to find all 2nd hand!

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Photo's of the year here

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

Edited by - stevefoster on 3 Apr 2003 15:54:14

These are not like for like conversions. If you move to carbs you will have to work all the way back to the fuel pump to make your changes. If you already have a fuel injected VX then the most fiddly part of the installation is already done for you (the baffled fuel tank and injection pump with return line). I think you would be daft to go for a carbs conversion.

These are not like for like conversions. If you move to carbs you will have to work all the way back to the fuel pump to make your changes. If you already have a fuel injected VX then the most fiddly part of the installation is already done for you (the baffled fuel tank and injection pump with return line). I think you would be daft to go for a carbs conversion.

Thanks Guys

Throttle bodies it is. Does anyone know the best place for a set? I have looked at QED, SPD, and Deemon Tweeks but not sure which package to go for. SPD do a 208BHP conversion for the standard engine but this requires upgrading the rod bolts. Messy job I believe.

Thanks

Carl

I have the rod bolts to fit but have not seen it as necessary in the class I run in. Unless you particularly like revving an engine... with the standard cams and going to 7250 soft limit and 7300 hard you do not really need to do that upgrade.

The Caterham race boys had a 7500 limit with standard bolts. I find with my gearing and new found power at the circuits I do I do not need those extra few rpm so why thrash it.

Different thing altogether if you are putting hotter cams in, then you come on cam at higher rpm. I would have thought that SBD's 208 need the first cam upgrade that does not require pocketed pistons.

200bhp would be more realistic without depending on exhaust system.

I found TB's make the thing feel much more alive above 5000 rpm to my self imposed rev limit.

I was asking the same question of does the extra power require better bolts and got the answer, no,

higher rpm's do.

The bolts are a drop the sump, do the countersinking for the raised bolt head edge and torque up.

Try the TB's first and keep the rev limit to below 7500 and you will be amazed. It will take a little while to get the maps sorted etc which I have found to be great fun and learnt a lot doing it myself with help from several listers/Blatchatters.

Next winters upgrade for you could be bolts, cams, lightened flywheel etc.

I am a true believer of incremental upgrades and like to keep the downtime of my 7 as short as possible too. But that is just my approach to it.

I guess I was lucky in getting a 2nd hand box of all the bits....

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Photo's of the year here

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

Edited by - stevefoster on 4 Apr 2003 08:40:12