Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Installing Coolant Header Tank -X flow - hose connection question???

Nico506

• Area Representative

After months of coping with coolant escaping from expansion tank , have decided to fit a header tank with separate expansion tank /recuperator bottle . My question is is there any technical reason why the header tank feed can't be connected to the small hose take off at the top of the water pump body rather than a small diameter hose takeoff on the bottom radiator hose. My guess is this makes no real difference as water is circulated in right direction around the system.

Thanks in advance and appreciate feedback 

I have a closed system with pressurised tank on my crossflow, I have the feed hose from the bottom of the tank feeding the water pump connection and the other smaller hose connects to a connection on the thermostat housing. I used a thermostat housing for a Fiesta Mk 2. off ebay, about £15.

The "outlet" on the water pump is actually an inlet. It sucks water down from the header tank and back into the system. There is no significant difference between connecting the hose here and connecting it to a T-piece on the bottom hose. The header tank is fed from the small pipe on top of the thermostat housing.