Click here if you are having website access problems ×

BDR Oil leak video - where is it coming from? Solved (maybe).

anthonym

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ncv8jyggdkjpwsu/WhatsApp%20Video%202022-08-08%20at%209.07.26%20AM.mp4?dl=0

video 8mb 39 seconds - leak from scavenger pump (fear the third bolt practically impossible to get at, or maybe the union of the oil line in to the block which I just resealed the block side of it but not the pipe side)

this is after tightening a vast number of loose connections post 800 miles post rebuild. And it's worse than before I fixed it all, so that's why I suspect the union. I will be visiting the car shortly.

anthony

Having now been under the car staring at the offending area and examining all round the scavenge pump I am thinking it may be as simple as the (very old) sump gasket has had its day. We tightened it earlier and the amount of oil on the floor after a few moments is a fraction, say 20% of what it was before tightening. So I could try tightening again, but sump gasket replacements never used to be rocket science. Question is what does one use these days? Maybe that's a different thread so I'll ask separately here: https://www.caterhamlotus7.club/forum/techtalk/what-sump-gasket-not-cork-i-suppose

I spoke with Titan and it became apparent that to get access to the three connecting head bolts, it may help to removed the outer sections of the pump by removing the 4 bolts in the outer cover plate. Stag Weldseal will be required for refit. This will make space to fit tools in to the three hex bolts, especially the impossible number three (upper left as looked at). Just that right now I think the sump is more suspect than the pump.

Anthony