Click here if you are having website access problems ×

L7 Sprint regulations

Mcalvert

• Leadership Team

Can someone who knows please advise me regarding getting our 1700 Xflow ready for its first sprint later this year?

I was of the belief that in order to pass scrutineering, I would need double external throttle return springs on the carbs, and I have heard other people say this also. However, reading the Blue Book E12.4.2 it simply states" Engines... must be equipped with a positive method of throttle closing by means of external spring/springs so that in the event of failure of any part of the throttle linkage the throttle(s) are sprung closed"

To me, this means that the single external spring already fitted should be enough. Am I right?

I appreciate your help as I don't want to get turned away from the first event!

Thanks - Michael.

• Leadership Team

Hmm- thanks for your feedback so far. My point is that it is very ambiguous if it states that "Engines" must have a secondardy mechanism.

The main reason for my concern is that the only car that I saw with any throttle closing problem at Curborough last year was that his second spring which was fitted for the event was fouling the first!

Regards -Michael.

Mcarvert, They do check this so I would recommend fitment regardless. Any other things that you are unsure about techwise for sprints, have a look in the archive as we discussed this in the last 12 months.

Important thing is that you enjoy the day and forget the tech issues. If you can't find anything in the archive feel free ask any questions as the sprint is iminent and it would no doubt remind a few folks of what is needed

Edited by - Graham Perry on 3 Apr 2003 10:47:09

Weber's also have internal springs, but can't be relied upon as they have been known to break. Hence the external throttle return springs are therefore the secondary mechanism for closure mentioned in regs 🤔

This could be total tripe however

Just put them on, I had them on my xflow when sprinting and never had any issues with the scruts.

SteveP

At the risk of Hijacking the thread, I bought the second spring kit from Caterhams for my 1600 XFlow (cost about £20 for lever and spring). I haven't fitted it yet, but wonder how others have done it. The lever clearly fits on the spindle for the second (front) carb, but where do you anchor the loose end of the spring. The first spring on my car is anchored to a small retainer on the dip stick column, but there is no obvious pont for a second spring. Is this a DIY job 🤔

Terry

Trying to get out of the garage

At the risk of Hijacking the thread, I bought the second spring kit from Caterhams for my 1600 XFlow (cost about £20 for lever and spring). I haven't fitted it yet, but wonder how others have done it. The lever clearly fits on the spindle for the second (front) carb, but where do you anchor the loose end of the spring. The first spring on my car is anchored to a small retainer on the dip stick column, but there is no obvious pont for a second spring. Is this a DIY job 🤔

Terry

Trying to get out of the garage

Mcalvert

As Graham says they will check for double springs so do fit them.

As Graham also says enjoy the day

Whilst on the topic of springs and carbs it is not uncommon for the internal springs in Webbers to break. This might not sound like too much of a problem at first glance but when breaking they frequently jam the throttle. This happened to me on the way to work one morning and it was a fairly "lively" experience. The internal springs should be removed for safety reasons. If you remove the top cover from the carburettors you will see two brass discs about 10mm dia with slots in them. These are the retaining plates for the springs. Fit some external springing to bring the throttle pedal weight back to your specification

Ex Chairman Roger