Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fluid ALLLLLLLL over my RH rear wheel during a trackday at Blyton

graearea

some friendly Vauxhall heads at Blyton park pointed out that for some reason my Rear Right wheel was covered in fluid. we had a bit of a look about and people mentioned that it smelt like diff oil. I had a poke around (the car, the disks and the weather was absolutely boiling so I couldn't get in there and it was just on a jack with no stands)  and it looked to me that the brake fluid had a leak as the hardline-flex was completely soaked in fluid. so I did the sensible thing and sprayed it with brake cleaner, wiped it with hand towels and just went back out and sent it.

on getting home I cleaned it a bit better and then noticed this....

Screenshot2022-07-18at22_16_09.thumb.png.e96f27ea680e40cc955bedea44417018.png  

that breather pipe is pointing perfectly to spray hot diff oil all over a wheel, disc, pad, brake lines, etc.

and blyton is a mostly left hand corner track.

and it was 33 degrees.

anyone want to buy some lightly used rear brake pads?

what do we think the solution is? just a much longer bit of pipe that goes all the way up and then  zip tied to spray downwards rather than disc-brakewards and a diff top up?

a bit like this https://www.caterhamlotus7.club/forum/techtalk/caterham-suprlight-r-diff-breather-components

is there anything to be done to my disc pads? I can use brake cleaner on the discs and calipers etc, but I guess my pads are toast.

anyone know what type of pipe I need?

cheers!

Screenshot2022-07-18at22_26_02.thumb.png.d150bd2561c472d56082ea1cca86e8ee.png

PS, Blyton is hella fun. if you've not taken your 7, there's few places to hurt yourself and I was topping out around 100mph (I think)

• Support Team

I fitted a catch can for the diff breather after a similar experience. Just need a small bottle zip tied somewhere on the rear bulkhead (I think mine is zip tied to the fuel filter) and a longer breather pipe.

I'd put a catch can/bottle on the end of the tube as any ejected oil could cause a hazard to other cars on track. Ejecting oil on any track I attend would be cause for a black flag and no return to the track until a fix to prevent oil being spread on the track was in place.

We had a Corvette with an over heated diff spread oil from the breather on the track the track day before last, caused a 20 min stoppage while oil absorber was spread and then swept up.

Re #9 - For the tracks I attend, tech requirements sensibly have a rule that all oil and coolant vent and drain pipes must have a catch container if they are not closed systems. The Corvette driver who had never previously had a problem with his diff overheating and expelling oil, but hadn't fitted a catch can, was banned for the rest of the track day after he did expel oil and has to add one before being allowed back for another track day.

the amount of oil sprayed out wasn't that much, it just coated everything. I'd guess that all the oil that was gonna be blown out now has....

but I've ordered some 1/8" tubing and carbuilder solutions offer a small coke sized catch can with a level gauge which might work but I think I might try an actual red bull can first :D.

and I need to re-top up the diff oil.