Click here if you are having website access problems ×

GoPro/Camera advice

Dobson_justin

• Area Representative

Updated #26 to include GoPro7 transfer speeds.

BTW... I'll be at Gurston Down on Sunday to watch the fun. I'll have some GoPro's and DJI Action 2 with me if anyone competing wants to see them. I'll also pack some 360 cameras if that's interesting to anyone.

John

Just a point to consider : for racing we mandate that all competitors carry a camera so the Clerk of the Course and the Driving Standards Team can review footage after any incidents / protests / complaints. Originally most people used GoPro-style cameras. But the number of failures was scary - about 25-30% of cameras didn't record because (1) "I forgot to turn it on", (2) "the battery ran out mid-race", (3) "It somehow switched itself into photo mode instead of video mode", (4) "the memory card filled up", or (5) "I did everything properly but it just didn't record" (the usual one).

So now cameras have to be hard-wired to the car's power, and turn themselves on automatically with the ignition (or at a low minimum speed). We get very few failures now.

That basically means a dash-cam, but surprisingly the number of dashcams available that are suitable for a Caterham are small. INNOVV and Viofo are are main suppliers (noting that some of the INNOVs don't like having power turned off at the kill switch, making them unsuitable), but when my Viofo failed I bought a cheap kit from Amazon which is surprisingly good once I'd added some foam to the mounts to make them more stable.

You don't get 4K at 60fps, or image stabilisation, or any of the other bells and whistles that you get from GoPros. But you do get solid footage which doesn't fail to record.