Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Starting engine after standing

Eriedor

After an oil change or after winter hibernation, I just pull the plug on the injectors, spin it round on the starter to get oil pressure then reconnect and fire it up.  It is possible to over think things - its only a road car engine, not a blue printed, hand built 917 flat 12 or Ferrari V12.    

I can't find any information from a mainstream manufacturer of a modern car that requires any special procedure for starting after an oil change, other than just start the engine and ensure the oil pressure warning light goes out and there are no leaks. It takes about 2 seconds longer after an oil change to build oil pressure as the oil filter fills, so longer than after winter storage, which would indicate no benefit to a special procedure after normal storage, either.

From an engine perspective, the only procedure that is generally recommended is to add fuel stabiliser when storing for months. I don't use fuel stabiliser myself, I just store with an almost empty tank and fill with fresh fuel in the spring, due to the fact that the low humidity climate here doesn't cause a problem with condensation forming inside empty fuel tanks.

James,

I find if you put a small amount of oil in the new filter (rather than fill it) the paper element soaks it all up if left for a short while so minimal spillages and the filter is ready to pass oil rather than being dry.

I have no quantifiable evidence to say this is better than any other approach - just seems logical an oil soaked filter is going to pass oil quicker than a dry filter. (Our tintop VW group cars have replacement element type filters so they end up going in dry!)

Ian