Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Dead F/Pump! Fitting Weber 12v Universal Fuel Pump 2.0 - 3.5 PSI

Ralph

My mechanical fuel pump died  (No In or Out Pressure) Think its the Diaphragm, no fuel getting to carb’s at all. This pump bought from Burton only lasted about 3 years.

Could this be a result of new petrol? even though I always put 98 ron E5 into my tank.

Thinking of installing Weber 12v Universal Fuel Pump 2.0 - 3.5 PSI

Anybody done this, any ideas on positioning and wiring.

Car is a 1700 X-Flow Twin 40's Year 1996

Ralph

There's a few discussions of electric pumps in Crossflows. Those should give you information on the required flow rate for your power output as well as some makes and models.

If you have to add or replace some hose make sure that it will tolerate the fuel that you'll be using, including the ethanol content.

Would you like a wiring diagram?

Jonathan

I believe the Weber (Edelbrock) pump needs a flooded suction and suited to rear mount only so would need installing low down at the tank but check this with Webcon. 30(US)gpm at 2-3.5 bar for rear mount also seems a little mean for a X-flow on 40's.

Common fit for up to 150Hp is a Facet Silver Top which gives 36(US)gpm and 4-5.5psi coupled with a Filter King (Malpassi) filter / regulator to adjust to get around 3.5 psi at the carbs. These can be front or rear mounted and the usual places would be on rear panel above the axle or inside side panel behind the wheel. If you've got more power then a Silver Top Competition or Red Top. 

The Burton supplied replacement mechanical pumps have, as far as I'm aware, had ethanol compatible diaphragms for some time so guessing just the unreliability of mechanical pumps. If the carbs are original then I suspect they are not ethanol friendly but the latest service kits replace all the susceptible parts so might be worth considering. 

Wiring wise you just need to pick up an ignition switched live (usually from the fuse box) and use an inline fuse.

R

Hi Jonathan

I have had a look on the posts regarding electric pumps and will probably go for the pump I mentioned as it has a flow rate of 3.5 as my carbs are not happy over this so I don't need a high flow rate pump. I am going to replace the fuel hose.

A few posts I have read are very happy with it and it seems more reliable and I will also not have to control the pressure.

If you have a wiring diagram that would be great I just have to work out were to mount it I know it will have to be as close to the tank as posable and below the feed.

Think I will go electric route and I suspect people with rubber diaphragm and mechanical fuel pumps may suffer in the future?

Ralph