Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Opening for Pipercross Air Filter

Andreas Seydell

• Area Representative

If I want to make an opening in the bonnet for a Pipercross air filter - how do I find the right position without making the hole too big?
Do I flange the edge or do I put a rubber profile on the edge?

• Support Team

Finding the right position is tricky! I was lucky to have an old damaged bonnet so I measured from the front edge and bottom edge of the bonnet to cut a rough hole in it - slightly bigger than required - then I created a paper template the rught size which I transferred to the new bonnet. If it's a standard fit engine that other people are using the same filter on, you could ask someone to make a template for you.

You could measure the position from the front of the bonnet and the bottom edge quite easily and then cut a hole smaller than required and gradually increase the size of the hole.

I used rubber trim on the finished hole.

• Area Representative

Hi Andrew,

I have an R500 bonnet with filter cut out on my R400 Duratec. The hole is slightly bigger than required so would you like the dimensions. I can PM them.

Start small, work out when cutting. Easier to use profile on the edge as turning over material may be difficult to finish properly unless you are a dab hand with a block & planishing hammer. Trouble is the paint may suffer.

• Area Representative

Thank you for all the answers.
I drive an SV and have the same acoustic problem as with the Super Seven 1600.
In the S3 it was a nice intake noise with the bonnet open, in the SV there is interference from the bonnet being closed.
I now want to open the bonnet and then install a higher air filter to eliminate the interference.
I hope this will help.