Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Spigot bearing removal damage

Eriedor

So I'm a bit of an amateur as you can see. The spigot bearing on my k series put up a hell of a fight when removing and the aftermath shows I've caused a bit of damage in the process. I'm specifically concerned about the 3 circled areas. If I sand down any burrs am I ok still? or is this a new crank? (lol)

PXL_20220710_105735269.jpeg.f58245301c62ad72e7b87e953f65deb5.jpeg

High res link - https://photos.app.goo.gl/TfFAYFNAdt8rpsmm7

• Leadership Team

Have you removed just the bearing or both the spigot bearing and spacer sleeve?  If the sleeve is still in the damage is likely to be only to the sleeve so easily replaced.

Stu.

Hard to see on my mobile out in broad sunlight but it looks like one of the damaged areas is in the chamfered bevel outside of where the spigot bearing sits and the others are deep in behind the bearing? If so, they won't be a problem. Just clean them up. If as Stu mentions you've removed the sleeve and there is damage in the area where the bearing sits,  just make sure you flatten off any high spots. Coarse wet and dry paper works quite quickly. The bearing housing is strong and it will still sit centrally. Make sure the new spacer sleeve isn't too thick. In most cases I've found the ones supplied from Caterham / Redline to be too tight. You'll have the same problem next time it needs changing and I've even seen them so tight that the bearing is crushed and the gearbox input shaft won't feed into it. Usually the ones supplied by QED are a much better fit. Very occasionally I've found a crank where a QED sleeve was loose and then a Caterham one was a good fit. And make sure when you put the new bearing in the grease seal is on the outside. Nothing worse than knocking the new one in and then realising it's got to come out again.

Yeahh the damage is only the chamfered edge on the front and some spots right at the back behind the bearing. Where the bearing sits is absolutely fine.

The photo is with the space sleeve out.

I have a QED bearing and spacer sleeve so hoping it goes in reasonably easy.

It's highly unlikely that this will render the crank unserviceable. However, it is ESSENTIAL that any burrs or high spots are removed before fitting the sleeve; a Dremel or similar may be needed. Depending on the final result it may be advisable to fit the sleeve with a little Loctite retainer, then the bearing can go in as normal.