Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Quaife QBE60G Flat Shift Advice

DarrenAshley

Hi all once again. Greetings from Australia, where the never ending saga of rebuilding my 2005 C400 I imported continues, 18 months after arrival and 2 years since purchase. Not turned a wheel yet, but I live in hope.

The engine is close to being finished. I've shipped over a block, and pretty much everything other than the head. SBD Motorsport, Redline Components, and Raceline all been super helpful.

The car came with a Quaife 6 speed box, I believe to be the QBE60G. The engine will be the same uprated Duratec 2.0 once finished, and the ECU is an MBE 9A4 derivative. From my reading, this combination is capable of flat shift.

I am not mechanically minded, but I wondered if anyone had any experience converting to flat shift and what is required? I've read about potentiometers, I cannot see one on this box but I can only really get underneath, I am loathed to touch the tunnel at present with the engine out and the gearbox supported in the car. 

Anyone that could share photos of where to look for a potentiometer, or if one is even needed and what they did to convert to flat shift would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks once again, fantastic community and I look forward to sharing some photos of it on Australian circuits this year! 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Thought I would post a follow up on this for anyone else coming across the same need.

Having spoken to Quaife, they recommended a flat shift ECU from Geartronics. I have one on the way to Australia! 

Speaking to Neil Wallace at Geartronics, whilst a load cell gear lever is not necessary it apparently makes the shifts more positive. Unfortunately, the gear lever load cells are pretty difficult to get hold of. I was quoted a 16 week lead time from the UK. There are a few options but the one most people seem to have worked with is made by KA sensors : Link

It seems KA sensors changed hands some time ago, pricing went up and a lot of distributors were changed. Add COVID and supply chain issues and they become rocking horse poop... Would you believe it though, there is a supplier in Australia who has stock! I purchased here locally from Calibrated Performance, no lead time!!! First time ever with this build that there is a benefit to being the other side of the world...

The engine is close to completion, so once in I will set to installing the flat shift and post a further update with photos.

Darren,

I assume when you mean flatshift you are still going to use the gear lever but just go up the gearbox without lifting off the throttle?  If you go down the paddle shift route there are open and closed loop systems and the best ones( so I am told) work using compressed air. The advantage of the closed loop system is it has feedback and helps to preserve the gearbox.  The other bit that can be sorted is the downshifts can also be clutchless with the system blipping the throttle to allow the gear below to be selected.

I know someone who has a system fitted to their R500 and apparently it works most of the time but can occasionally fail.  This sounds to me like it may need regular servicing/set up to keep it top line?

Nick