Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Old school live axle heater plumbing

Gridgway

The live axle caterham that I am refurbing has a heater.  When I got it, it was bypassed.

There is a heater valve and control which is definitely after market as it were.

Can anyone advise on how the flow of hot coolant through the heater is controlled as standard please?

Pics would be very helpful. Thanks!

Thanks both. I have the 1996 guide, but not the 1992 guide.  John, my email address is:

graham

at

ridgworld

dot

come

That picture is very helpful thanks Andrew.  Regarding why it was bypassed, that is a question I have been investigating.  I have had the heater out and apart - what a wonderful thing the heater matrix is - a work of art.  There is no sign of a leak and it passes the Ridgway blowing in it test!  However the current rather heath-robinson valve control doesn't cut off the flow of water so I suspect it was always hot.

The other possibility is that there was some cooling problem with the motor and taking the heater out of circuit helped that in some way.  I only drove it a couple of short journeys before I started my winter refurb project (it's still winter isn't it?).  The motor is away having a full rebuild (good thing as we found a cracked crank) and upgrade.

Back to the valve, my 1996 guide has reference to a valve kit HV01 which is what I think I need.  On the caterham parts website it has this https://caterhamparts.co.uk/heater/2397-heater-control-cable-for-black-plastic-valve.html?search_query=heater+control+valve&results=78 although it is out of stock.

"Back to the valve, my 1996 guide has reference to a valve kit HV01 which is what I think I need."

Someone once identified the source of the heater valve in early Ks. Possibly from a taxi? I'll search the archives if no-one has found it by the time I've finished teaching tonight. 

And I'd ask Redline.

Jonathan

To add, assuming its a recirc only heater with shut off on the return then to be honest there's a host of aftermarket metal valves (from kitcardirect and others) that are better than trying to source the black plastic Caterham supplied valve. The cable is a standard dash mount push / pull item from the same sources

R

Interestingly, doing some googling what's on there came from car builder solutions and it really doesn't fit.  The valve is ok, but the cable location mechanism is all wrong!  That's why I'd like the standard Caterham solution.