Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Aero attire

Doc007

As someone that has just converted to aero, i would be keen to know too!  For the short drives ive done so far its been a baseball cap held on with ear defenders, a buff (Which gets blown down my face as i go and requires constant adjustment) and ballistic glasses.  

Would be great to hear other peoples solutions! 

lotus7-335.jpg.2b56fef4581bc85bdc571838349a97c1.jpg

This is my aero helmet - a lightweight R.E.D snowboard / skateboard lid that offers protection from the stones and other debris, but does not feel heavy, or get too hot. The helmet has optional ear pads that help reduce wind noise. Oakley Flightdeck goggles with prescription inserts - these cope exceptionally well with the low sun in early morning and evening drives.

Regular baseball cap for me with a lanyard attaching it to the seat, I always use my intercom ear defenders in the car (Peltor Optime 2's with Autocom speakers fitted), they prevent the baseball cap from coming off.

As an aside I suspect I've got a "RiF" aeroscreen which is slightly taller than the standard aero which I suspect probably helps.

For cold weather I'll typically add a buff, #4 you may need to experiment with different ways of wearing the buff, there's a great video on their website showing lots of options. If its cold I tend to go with what they call "driving Miss Daisy", it looks a bit silly but definitely keeps you warm.

• Area Representative

I always use a couple of buffs to cover my lower face and my ballistic googles. Having the buff at double thickness definitely helps with any impact from small stones.

I use a beanie unless the speed is rising and then i take it off before it blows off. Some of our lads use a buff as a head covering similar to a pirate and that seems to do the trick

I normally use ballistic grade goggles with a baseball cap on a lanyard. The goggles are bespoke varifocal, reactor light sunnies, so can be used for day and night time driving.

I also carry a helmet most of the time, in an Oxford motorcycle helmet bag in case of heavy rain. It either straps into the passenger seat, or onto the roll over bar.

I also keep a one piece motorcycle suit in the boot for wet weather.

Clive

Must admit, and I know its a bit corny,  I go for the full Biggles attire with my Brooklands screens

Brown leather aviators flying hat I got from Holden vintage and Halcyon type 49 goggles and ear plugs  and then a buff around the neck and chops if cold. Suffered a glancing  bird strike a couple of years ago and it gave a bit of protection (not much) and I was glad it wasn't anything bigger than a sparrow

Occasionally use just sun glasses (wrap around cycling ones) with a buff pulled up over nose and mouth  and then bear head - feel a bit exposed.

The skiing helmet idea seems a sensible one and one whihc probably should be encouraged (for the above reason), but when has sensible and 7 ownership been seen in the same sentence