Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Removable chassis diagonal hitting water rail

Alan Bowler

My EU3 K series S3 has a new long front. I specified a removable nearside chassis diagonal.
Engine now back in, but the diagonal fouls the water rail.
The removable tube has an indented section, but its not where the water rail sits.
If I jack up the engine I can fit the tube in, but the water rail will touch the tube when the engine is lowered.
Its more than "a few washers under the engine mount" to fix.
Waiting to hear back from Arch. 

So, can anyone with a K S3 and the removable diagonal confirm if the tube has an indented section to avoid hitting the water rail?

Or is there a different water rail?

AB

Yes its a removable diagonal. Basically the same spec as you are trying to fit up. Cant really see why yours wont clear, I may have pushed my engine as far to the right as possible is all that I can suggest. Its been a long while since I did it. 

Hi Alan,

If it's any help, I've got one of the older straight kind that sits close to the side of the head. Two small problems:

1) It's currently bolted to the side of an engine I've built for a client.

2) I paid to have it blasted and powder coated and refurbished like new.

I'd rather not start pulling it off again but if you're really stuck I'll do you a swap, but you would have to throw in the cost of getting yours blasted and powder coated like the one I've got (about £30 from memory). I don't think my client really cares what shape water rails he gets and he's used to the newer kind from me anyway, I was just using this one up on this SuperSport engine as it won't fit the VVC.

It has both sensor bosses fitted, the ECU sensor is in a slightly different (better in terms of exhaust proximity!) position but should be fine for wiring as it sits nearer to where the wires usually come out of the loom). The bypass hose comes straight off the back rather than outwards from the front section of pipe as on the newer rails (which is why it won't fit a VVC, it would go straight through the rear belt pulleys).

It's difficult to get a decent photograph as the engines are stacked deep in my garage at the moment, so this is the best I can do:

IMG_20220620_204309_0.thumb.jpg.11cdbd36c6def0d8294eac6bab950a37.jpg

IMG_20220620_204321.thumb.jpg.3a93bfe8d36df78d2ea6fa1d69feb391.jpg

PS: I seem to vaguely remember reading somewhere that the spacing of the diagonals at the rear was increased on chassis from a certain date onwards, so if you're is an earlier chassis they may be closer together than other people's.

Hi Andrew - thanks for the offer and your second point would explain a lot, including why Simon's fits and mine doesnt. If the bar was slightly to the right it would be fine (see pic).

I'll try a wanted ad, but hens teeth spring to mind so may take up your generous offer.

5C0C67A5-8BFD-4ABF-B798-F812E2FB738F.thumb.jpeg.3a54a2fedd9a52a0a87538bf37fd4deb.jpeg

Alan, Just had a look at the position of the clevis on the chassis. Mine is a good 20mm further outboard to yours. The diagonal sits how you had yours in the picture with it outside the clevis. That explains why mine fits. It's a 2001 superlight chassis if that makes any difference. I guess they fitted your mount in a different position for whatever reason they did.