Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How do you adjust the idle speed on a Duratec?

MattB

You need to have the ECU remapped, either with a new unlocked ECU, or one of the tuners who can flash a locked Caterham ECU.

1000RPM or so also gives a better idle on the 420R than earlier R400s that used 850RPM, in general due to the cam profile that Caterham uses. I'm assuming they increased the idle speed to overcome the idle and stalling issues when cold, I had to do this on my 2012 R400D and settled on 1000RPM idle with an unlocked ECU that I tuned myself.

Idle speed is controlled by the ECU, but if the throttle stop is open too far you can get hunting at idle as the ECU struggles to maintain the idle.  The strange thing is the idle speed is normally set to 950rpm.  Are you sure the idle is 1050, only reason I say that is I am not sure how accurate the tacho is around idle.  EasyMap (or the good work this community has done decoding the can signal) is the only true source of information.

Are you sure the idle is 1050, only reason I say that is I am not sure how accurate the tacho is around idle.

If it's anything like my 310R, not accurate at all. You need to plug EasyMap in to see what it is. EasyMap shows my idle to be 800 rpm (which is the factory setting), but the rev counter shows 1,200 rpm!