Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting 620S exhaust to R400

graearea

I've got a R400 which has already damaged my ears once and I'm wanting to fit a rear exit exhaust to both reduce the noise (I was only just under the limit at cadwell, I can't hit the limit at Bedford if it's dry)

what would be the difficulties of fitting the 620S style rear-exit to my car. both duratecs, I have a cat and would move that over.

Screenshot2022-05-29at21_23_09.thumb.png.8da2dfa43915bb26f12f3224f62beba6.png

The 620 exhaust has a cat built in to the main silencer part, so you don't need your old cat but you'd need instead a non cat collector pipe. The rear of the silencer hangs off two exhaust rubber mounts which bolt onto the chassis either side, hopefully the appropriate mounting points will be there. Be aware that I think the linking pipe for the 620 exhaust front and rear parts comes in two sizes/lengths to cater for the S3 and SV models. Hopefully you've got the right one.

Two things :-

1. don't pull too much on the rubber mounts when your fitting otherwise the rubber part can separate from the imbedded metal plate that's supporting the bolt. 
2. be aware the link pipe by the nature of its design hangs close to the ground .... watch out for sleeping policemen etc. 

• Leadership Team

Well, it's nearly new...  A saving of around £100 or so?  And you may need Mike Riley (Mr Raceco) to fettle the end-cap to be it a perfect fit for your car.  I'd say a figure beginning with a 'five' would be more appropriate (even if towards the high-end of that). 

As ever, it's worth what someone is willing to pay, and as a seller you only need one person to buy!

Another consideration; when you do come to sell, a Raceco will always be sought-after... So even if the investment is high up-front, over the buy-sell cycle I'd expecvt it to be a cost effective strategy.   (I offer courses at various levels of qualification in "Man Maths").

As to quietness - well, a Raceco can is not silent but they are renowned to be quieter than standard.  They just are.  And they can be repacked easily when required.

Good luck - and keep us posted.

James

PS: And the Raceco looks really cool (particularly if polished) whereas the down-and-under 620 system looks, what, sh*te, doesn't it?