Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Solenoids (12v)

Golf Juliet Tango

• Area Representative

I have fitted an electric release for the boot of the 21.  This kit: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rightclick-Car-Accessories-Electric-release/dp/B0050QK9EG/ref=sr_1_3?crid=31HT4WFBN2GQN&keywords=trunk+release+kit&qid=1653344430&sprefix=trunk+release+%2Caps%2C109&sr=8-3

Great, in that it opens the boot and once the battery isolator key is out of the car, a secure store.  So far, so good.

But it doesn't return to it's un-energised position by itself but holds in the open (withdrawn) state, which is a disadvantage because it is powerful.  I would like to replace it with a solenoid with its own return spring.  I don't want to tax the boot catch as it is 26 years old and will be difficult to replace (I haven't been able to identify the origin anyway).

Are there any experts or knowledgeable people who can help me find something suitable?

Hi Stephen.

Having read your description of operation I can't understand how the solenoid stays in the latched position with power removed, I would expect it to move back to the un energized state when switched off, does it do this when not attached to the latch mechanism?

I had a few sessions with the door locks on my tin top, the action of them and boot catches is a sort of over centre operation, which holds the latch in the open position, ready for the door lock striker bar, for the want of a better description, to reset to the closed position and hold the door, boot lid closed,  so if you have released the boot catch and then close the boot lid it doesn't latch closed, is that what you are saying?

It may be that it is in need of some lubrication of the mechanism. If you open the boot lid, and remove the power from the circuit try to make the lid catch go to the closed position by using a screwdriver to move the latch part to the closed position, it shouldn't take much effort, if it is a noticeable force required look at some lube on the pivots. 

If I was up there I could pop over and give you a hand, but as you know, I am miles away.

Bash on, you'll get it sorted.

Cheers.

Nigel.

Hi Stephen

On my 21 I've used a Peugeot 406 boot release and a timer relay.

The solenoid stays energized for a few second by the relay giving me enough time to open the boot.

Has been working very well for the last 10 years.

I may have a spare solenoid.

Jack