Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Crossflow facet fuel pump and fpr installation

Gridgway

My crossflow engine builder says I need to use a Facet red top plus a Sytec pro FPR to provide enough fuel for the upgraded motor.

Does anyone have this or similar installation that I can use for inspiration please?  Where they are placed, the plumbing and the wiring.

Cheers

Graham

My facet is mounted on the rear panel behind the passenger quite low down, the pressure regulator is mounted under the bonnet on the chassis member directly above the gearbox.  The power is fed via an additional relay, I've chosen to control the relay via a dash mounted switch. As I was rebuilding the car I ran an earth from the chassis earth point through the tunnel onto a stud, basically so I had a good earth point for all of the rear electrics. 

Alan

Jonathan,

I run my cars with no immobilisers or ignition keys, but I do put some discrete switches in to isolate some services just to make it a little bit more difficult for those tempted to take the cars.

My pump is below the boot floor on the passenger side just behind the suspension turret - I've popped and bonded a 4x3" stainless plate there to stop the flex in the ali. The Filter King is below the boot floor as well attached to an ali angle that's used to strengthen the rolled edge of the fixed section of the boot floor. Mine's not run via the ignition switch either but runs through an FIA isolator which adds an element of security (the ignition switch offers no security as you can just pull the connections off the back and hotwire in 10 secs.)

R

Thanks both, very interesting.

One thing that strikes me is that I have the plastic fuel pipe from the tank to the fuel pump which is ok as it's not under pressure.  With a pump at the back to the regulator at the front, that is under pressure, so would need a different fuel pipe.

Is that correct logic?

Yes the mechanical pump will be blanked off (or otherwise not used).

The plastic pipe is connected to the tank at one end and the mechanical pump at the other end by rubber pipe and jubilee clips.  Being plastic, the clips can't be done up very tight as they would be onto metal fittings.  But the negative pressure to suck the petrol through will be a much lower magnitude than the positive pressure the facet will produce (6 ish psi).  So I anticipate leakage - which I generally don't enjoy and when particularly when it's petrol!

Thanks, looks like the way to go and I have had the pipe sizes confirmed by the engine builder.  Will replace the plastic fuel pipe with copper/nickel.  I'm unsure of the electrics (not being my strong suit), so will investigate what I have over the weekend and come back with more questions no doubt!

As others have said, using rubber to the copper/nickel pipe is ok providing the appropriate clips are used, I chose to put AN fittings on as I had some available. The Facet pump has an internal filter fitted, though it's sensible to put another in-line one too.

Alan

I'm pretty sure the pump filter is only to protect the pump - they are only plastic screen and usually 75 (red body) or 200 micron (black body). The Filter King has a 10 micron pleated paper filter. It looks like the Sytec doesn't have a gauge point either so a Filter King might be a tidier option at not much extra cost, probably less than £80 if you shop around / use club discount for alloy body FPR007 with set up gauge loose. Incidentally unless you're going really OTT on power a Silver Top Comp' will save a few quid and is good for 200Hp (30GPH, 6-7 psi)

R

The Sytec FPR is fine and you could use an inline Sytec filter (glass bodied so you can see what is going on).  I have a similar FPR on my Mini (branded Purolator).  It could even be the same, just different branding.  I am told the numbers on it are not actual psi values, just a scale.  May be sensible to make provision to measure the fuel pressure.  On the Mini the FPR and filter are on the front bulkhead and I have a solid state Facet pump in the boot

As an alternative there are Filter King FPRs that have provision for a fuel pressure gauge.  So all 3 things in one unit