Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Crossflow head off advice

Temple Cloud

I'm having a Caterham workshop take my 1700 cross flow head off to look at some remedial work that needs doing on a leaking inlet valve.

What should I be thinking of doing while the head is off that doesn't involve any major cost but that would be good to do for both longevity and power ?

All suggestions welcome. Thanks

Remove all valves and decarbon, check valve guides and head seats. Check valve stems for wear. Check rocker arms where they contact valve heads for wear. 
Measure bore wear at top of bore where top piston ring stops. Grind valves in if non coated where they seat. Fit new valve stem seals. 

As has been said in previous threads the key thing to do while a head is off is get the exhaust valve seat inserts done for unleaded petrol.  This may well also need work doing to the valve guides as well, again to suit unleaded.  This will not be a cheap thing to get done but there is quite a cost in getting the head off, cleaned up and replaced anyway and this cost will be duplicated if the seats are done at a later date.

As Beagler says this also gives you the chance to check the state of the bores and state of the rocker gear