Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Radtec radiator- replacement

PROBE2

Hi,

looking for latest recommendations on new radiator for K series c160bhp car.

I have had 3 new Radtec radiators on 3 cars over the years. They don't appear to last very long, maximum 3 years. Some debate on impact of running pink coolant on life of radiator.

got a quote for a new one at c£300. Like most things gone up from £225 over last 3 years since last one.

Any recommendations on alternative?

kind regards
Paul

• Area Representative

I have had a Radtec for well over 10 years. It sprung a leak about 5 years ago. I didn't think it would repair but Radtec did so for £40. Check whether yours will repair. Also make sure it's not under stress/strain when bolted to the car as it should last longer than 3 years.
You are also correct in thinking that Radtec recommend blue antifreeze.

On the two big points that have already been raised, both of which are extensively discussed in the archives:

"Also make sure it's not under stress/strain when bolted to the car... "

Yes. Some radiators have needed packing with washers, the mounting holes enlarged, and one set of brackets had to be cut, flipped and welded in order to get a relaxed fit. Test this when you remove the failed radiator and when you replace it.

"You are also correct in thinking that Radtec recommend blue antifreeze."

There's no easy solution (!) to this. On balance I would use the coolant that best suits the engine. That's the most expensive component to replace. For many Sevens that will be one with OAT additives (and sometimes but not always red). I don't think that that will harm the aluminium in radiators, but there may be some brass or copper in there... and it's very hard to go against what the manufacturers recommend. 

Jonathan

I run a Radtec in the crossflow and when I asked them what antifreeze to use they recommended Bluecol. They said they had a qualified chemist working with them (I think as a consukltant) and that was his recommendation. But as you say Jonathan, the engine may dictate what to use. Maybe ask Radtec about both the repair and what antifreeze to use - certainly they were very helpful when I spoke to them. If they do repair it, they may also be able to tell you why it might have failed.

Good luck sorting it!

I've run Radtecs on my Zetec for over 10 years (admittedly only 20K miles), Had to replace one after 5 years (no fault accident). Neither have leaked and I've always used the pink stuff but generally flush the system through when replacing the coolant.

I'm really surprised to hear all the recommendations for the blue coolant.

Lotus switched to orange in the early 2000's, and all their radiators are aluminum. I don't recall ever hearing anything about problems on the forums, so what's different about a Caterham radiator?

"Lotus switched to orange in the early 2000's, and all their radiators are aluminum. I don't recall ever hearing anything about problems on the forums, so what's different about a Caterham radiator?"

The advice from Radtec!

As I mentioned above the most plausible explanation might be there that there is some brass or copper in there.
Edited: Crossed with that comment about brazing.

Jonathan

There has been quite a lot of discussion about this over the years. I believe the problem is associated with the brazing which can be attacked by OAT pink coolant. I think possibly silicone hoses can be damaged too but I keep to what Caterham recommend for my car. 

No mention here about alloy radiator electrolysis, which can fizz out an alloy radiator in short time, I have an earth cable from the front upper mounting outer nut clamping the radiator mounting bracket and the same bobbin nut at the rear, both against clear metal surfaces, not paint, the bobbins act as an insulator, so the radiator can experience an electrochemical charge on the alloy of the radiator, there is quite a bit about this on Tweb, my Radtec unit is now ten years young and still sound. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update on original post.

thanks to all for comments and recommendations.

I opted to replace with another Radtec and have used Comma G48 coolant. Great service from Radtec.

it appears that using red OAT coolant and it sitting over long periods has probably accelerated the issues.

Hopefully using different coolant will extend radiator and other component life.

Thanks for the update, I've had a Radtec radiator on my car for 10+ years using the pink coolant without issue so interesting to hear other people are seeing issues.

Having said this Stu@Premier Power has just changed the coolant as they have seen issues with it crystallizing in aluminum radiators. I'll need to check but I believe they have put in a blue coloured coolant which sounds like it is similar to Comma G48.

I haven't changed the coolant in my car for years (too long probably) so it makes me wonder if something has changed with the pink coolant in the last 5 years that has caused issues.

Thanks, both.

What I think that we know:

1 There are different types of coolants that fall into a few big families. The colour is sometimes consistent within families but not always, especially with less common products.

2 There will be some variation between products within families, especially in minor constituents such as inhibitors.

3 One supplier of radiators suggests that some leaks have been caused by use of "red" coolant and recommends "blue" coolant. But we have never seen anything resembling a controlled comparison of this. The evidence seems to have come from seeing what type of coolant has been used in radiators that have leaked.

4 Using "blue" coolant in many current Seven engines would be against the recommendation of the engine supplier to use "red" coolant.

5 "Aluminium" radiators might contain some copper or brass components. 

All corrections and suggestions welcome.

Jonathan

I wonder is the engine running temperature makes a difference?

It seems that 7s can run at anywhere between 80 to 100c. Perhaps the higher temperatures can have an effect?

I changed my G30 the winter before last, after 5 years. What I took out looked perfectly good and clean.