Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What’s the best way to get a fuel tank out 2009 Sigma SV

Scotland North AR

Boyd and Dave Penny suggest remove upwards via boot but here is some past advice courtesy of Harry Flatters:

If you need to remove the tank....

- siphon or pump out as much fuel as possible
- remove boot floor, usually a piece of honeycomb aluminium sheet to the rear (this needs care and 'jiggling' to avoid scratching the paint on the top edge of the boot and/or the roll bar) and then the 'plank' to the front.
- disconnect filler hose & breather
- disconnect fuels supply and return hoses
- disconnect electrical connections for pump and sender
- from underneath, loosen and remove tank restraining brackets - 1 per side
- lift tank from supports and lower left end to the floor so that it is effectively standing on its end and then lift vertically up and out from the boot space. Alternatively, if you jack the car high enough and support on stands. the tank can also be removed from underneath, using the above method.

https://www.caterhamlotus7.club/forum/chitchat/removing-petrol-tank-tips-videos-please

I was going to take mine out to clean and lacquer it over winter. I was also having dents removed in the rear panel so the tank removal would have been better. What put me off was disconnecting the electrical wires. Please let me know how you go on. 

Nigel, it sounds a bit back breaking removing from below and dependent on getting the car high enough off the ground ... but you are just a youngster and at your short height of 4' 3" you can run around under the car quite easily *biggrin*

If it proves difficult, removal of the roll bar isn't that difficult.  My only concern would be whether the replacement tank fits into place without any fettling.  Good luck

Blue