Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyre availability

Geoff Brown

• Area Representative

Decided to order in advance a full set of Avon ZZS R13. 6" front 8" rear.

BMTR - Person who answered phone was a little cagey & never returned call.  

Avon Motorsport promised to call back. So after fifteen minutes called them. It seems that even they are low or out of stock. There is a minimum of three weeks wait for stock of 185/55 R13. And they make them !! 

Demon Tweeks have stock on the shelf of R13 but they are not sure how long existing stock will last & how difficult it could be to replenish. So bit the bullet & paid a price premium with next day delivery which was discounted to £2.50 per tyre. 

If Avon had stock they retail ZZS 185/55 R13 @ £118.55 per cover which is £41.57 less than DT.

Obviously all parties blame the increase in transport, manufacturing & fuel costs !? 

Rock & a hard place.......

I have never run ZZR but a friend of mine rated them highly at dry at Cadwell Park last week. I am running ZZS for a mix of road, track, wet and dry conditions. They are good choice if you only have one set of wheels. I think I have read somewhere that they warm up quicker than ZZR so maybe not a bad choice anyway. 

Caterham were out of stock of the 185's in March when I wanted some and I bought as soon as they reappeared at the end of the month and Avon also had stock at that time and quoted me.

IIRC DT were already priced higher back in March when Caterham had no stock, so I don't think they have just gone up and I wasn't sure why their prices were higher back then.