Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Pop riveting stud bases

Mrb00ns

Hi,

I'm tinkering with my Caterham today and noticed that a lot of the base studs for poppers on the bodywork are pop riveted in place rather than screwed. 

I can't get my rivet tool flush against the stud. Is there a specific bit of kit I need? I'm using a manual riveter, don't have enough need for an air riveter. 

Thanks in advance!

Chris

I think all mine were riveted.  All I have done is get a short length (5 mm or so) of aluminium rod of a suitable diameter, drill a hole through it, and put that over the nail of the rivet effectively making an extended nose to the rivet gun.  The bases normally use countersunk rivets

• Area Representative

If I understand you correctly the nose of the riveter interferes with the popper. A common problem. Easiest way is to place a v small nut (one that will go into the popper) over the "shaft" of the pop rivet. 9B62BAE8-BD5C-47FC-AE5D-9BF08C087AF1.thumb.jpeg.c95608abaac77f6a9ff6e94553e24a54.jpeg

Is the problem that the nose of the riveter is too big to go fully into the popper?

You maybe just need an extension nozzle for your riveter. Search on 'pop rivet extension nozzle'.

Or you can put a few small washers or a small nut on the back of the rivet to enable the rivet itself to be pushed down into the popper. You get them back when the mandrel breaks, of course.  

Edit: Beaten to it! As said, a common problem. 

Like Scott400D I use a few small washer to get the 'nozzle' spaced outside of the popper. Try and get some the same size or smaller than the rivet head. I used one a fraction bigger and it wedged itself inside the popper and was a challenge to get out.

I've recently found a small bush that works so I only have to find one thing when the rivet pops rather that several! 

Small nut is a great idea too!! (I do like a bit of lateral thinking / problem solving!)