Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Weeping Radiator & Owner

Graham Hutton

IMG_8951.jpg.4cc3b996fa71bc008ff523cfd0275571.jpg

Just got back from a long trip and could smell a bit of coolant and spotted some splashes over the top of the engine. Only a tiny amount but clearly the top weld on the radiator is weeping a bit as you can see in the picture. Any advice as to how to fix it? I notice that a new radiator is £388 so thought I'd ask before buying one in case anybody knows a radiator welder or something near Exeter that could help?

Any advice appreciated from you lovely lot!

Yours doesn't look like the same sort of fault that has recently affected so many aluminium radiators. But I'd still check that there aren't any twisting or bending forces on the radiator from the mountings. It should clamp up nicely without these forces and you can check when you take it out.

Jonathan

• Leadership Team

I recently suffered from the, all to common, radiator leak. Low and behold, when I removed the old radiator, it was not flush with the mountings. The mounting bolts had been putting it under stress.

For the new radiator I was advised to add a spacing washer in front of one of the bobbins to correct this, which I did. I'm hoping that this is the last new radiator for a while.

Simon

Thank you everybody, very much appreciate the advice. When I built the car I was careful to ensure there was no twisting in it but then again, I'm not a master mechanic!

Perhaps I should've googled first because the radiator repair people you mention are about 4 miles from my house!!!

Very much appreciated

The first radiator I got with my car leaked from the start. It was replaced and the replacement also leaked. 

CC then sent me a third which, you've guessed it, also leaked. 

I had the second one repaired and it's been fine now for several years. I have the third as a spare but have never needed it. 

Two of the three had leaks on the top welds, like this thread, the other on the weld around the drain plug.