Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Spare Wheel Carrier

rayjackson1950

HI

I've just bought a 2nd hand wheel carrier for my 1997 "7". No instructions came with it so if anyone has any that they could send me it, or point me in the right direction, would be greatly appreciated.

I have checked with the build manual, kindly provided by Jonathan Kay but it's not in there

That era of car had a brazed on spare wheel carrier. The removable ones came post 2000 IIRC. My '98 car had a carrier which I cut off leaving two stubs to re-attach the carrier if I wish, with some sort of insert ie a smaller dia piece of tube.

Perhaps post a picture of the rear of your car and the 2nd hand hoop so we can best advise.

If the pics are taken on an iphone you need it horizontal with button on the right then pics will load correctly orientated.

looks like you have a later chassis. On the lower tube there should be some ferrules welded into the chassis. You may be able to see them from underneath - you may need to move the fuel tank.

If you have them the fuel tank will need moving so you can drill out the ally panel to pass the fixings through. Unfortunately, the wheel carrier is the early braze on type. The later ones had a threaded bit in the end of the tube. This passes through the tube and a fixing goes from the fuel tank side.

I think this is the hoop you need....

https://caterhamparts.co.uk/other/3798-spare-wheel-carrier-bolt-on-metric-cars.html?search_query=Spare+wheel&results=109

hope that makes sense but think you need to do more checks on the chassis / research of caterham parts website.

Hi all

I have heard from others that once you use the gunk repair stuff, the tyre cannot then be repaired. I will have to go to our local tyre guy and ask him. That why I thought of the spare.

I have now emailed "Puncture Safe" to find out cost and where it can be done, as that does sound good and better than the repair stuff

#11 sorry to disillusion you Neil but Puncturesafe does not prevent punctures. It simply fills the injury when it occurs!

Use it if you wish but keep a close eye on your tyres. 
During my 25 years + in the tyre industry I saw my fair share of catastrophic failures due to neglected tyres filled with gunk. There's often more of the penetrating object inside the tyre than out. 

I wouldn't use it myself but do carry a repair kit of the sticky string type and an aerosol of gunk for temporary repair options.   I also very regularly check the tyres for 'foreign bodies'!

One thing, it is quite possible to repair a tyre that's had gunk in it, all other things being equal. I've done it a few times. The issue is that it takes a lot of washing out then a couple of days in the warm to dry before you can complete a proper repair. No dealer wants to do that so they say they're not repairable. 

Perhaps I should have said no more, or greatly reduced chance of flats - but my subsequent statement did make it quite obvious......

I context it doesn't claim to remove the need for periodic checks on your tyres, neither does it claim to fix all injuries, however it will provide a safer deflation - having have a tyre go from fully inflated to flat in under 4 seconds in lane 3 in a fully loaded tin top I can assure you a little more time to safely get off the motorway would have been worthwhile.

Likewise driving on the spacersaver afterwards was equally interesting even below the max advisory limit ! hateful things !

Solid tyres anyone...... *rofl*