Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

1600 K sump sponge replacement

chrisddl

I have noticed from previous postings that the sump sponge on the 1600 K series engine has been know to fail prematurely, ie, before the 12,000 mile Caterham specified replacement mileage, with resulting engine problems / failure. With a view to replacing this component, what is the proceedure, what bolt are torques involved, thread lock needed, etc, etc ?

I am just getting my car serviced @ 11,000 miles and my sponge was just starting to go funny. My mechanic also confirmed that they do not last 12K. So I concur that they should be replaced sooner.

I was told that the torque should be 15ftlbs - (I have not looked this up, thus it is possibly wrong - though I am 100% sure it is the figure that I was told)

I was also informed that when people get their cars serviced the oil pressure sometimes drops. It was suggested that if the seal for the oil pickup is not perfect then that will be the probable cause. The fellow servicing mine put silicone sealant round the O ring (in front and behind it) and made sure it squeezed out evenly as it was pushed home.

He also said never to use thread lock on an engine component.

Re the sponge. My guy aligned the lower plate holding the sponge with a small pointed alignment tool and then used a soldering iron to melt the two holes needed in the sponge. You also need to cut out the section for the dip stick.

The other tip I was given was that I should always buy the Caterham recommended oil filter – as they sometimes change the spec of these.

Cheers Rupe

Click here p21 to see pics of my 7 on a Sri Lankan beach *cool*

Edited by - Rupe on 1 Apr 2003 14:20:43

I've just replaced my sump baffle at 11k miles and the old one came out okay and showed no signs of breakdown (using Mobil1 0/40). I would also recommend replacing the sump gasket because this could be damaged slightly when lowering the sump, either because it sticks to the sump rim or it bends when releasing it from the plate that holds the baffle in place. As for screwing the sump back on I tightened the screws up by hand in a criss-cross way then just nipped them in. There didn't seem to be any major need for a torque wrench.

I'd be interested in hearing what the latest theories are as to exactly why the baffle is required ? To stop oil sloshing around: maybe. To reduce oil aeration: more likely.

Chris

I have just changed my foam baffle after 5yrs and 11,000 miles. The baffle was completely intact and the car has always used Comma Syner-G oil, changed at least every year. I also fitted a new sump gasket and tightened up the sump bolts using a sequence similar to tightening up a cylinder head. Not started the engine yet, hope to on Sunday, so fingers crossed no leaks etc.

Mark D

Su77on Se7ens *cool*

Thanks for the replies.

Last night I removed the sump and sump sponge (easy jobby). The sponge appeares to be in intact and in good condition after 11,000 miles & 5 years, looks and feels bit like a more open cell scotchbright.

As regard the 'O' ring on the pick up pipe, I contacted Simon (very helpful individual) at Caterham who stated that they do not change these items. I can also confirm that he bolt torque for the sump bolts is 15 lbf ft as stated by Simon.

With luck the new sponge will be inplace this evening and looking forward to a blast over the weekend, weather permitting.

Thanks again

RED1600KSS

11,000 miles and five years old? Brave man! Such an easy thing to change that I do mine at year or so intervals (about 4,500 miles ish).

Don't forget if you have an Apollo tank fitted that there is a foam 'filter' in the cam box cover also!

Clamshell Club Founder Member.

Chris

What is the cam box cover? I have an apollo and I did not see it being messed with - except to drain the oil out.

Fordy

Sorry I am no longer there - otherwise I would have offered some hospitality.

Cheers Rupe

Click here p21 to see pics of my 7 on a Sri Lankan beach *cool*

Rupe,

If you remove the black cam cover you will fine inside aroung the fitting for the apollo breather is a large piece of foam!

Whilst it is off, best check the nuts etc holding the fitting in place a secure & Loctited in.

Regards,

Martin

Well I'm on 50K miles and have not changed the one in the sump of my VVC engine, suppose I ought to get round to it, I even have a spare sump sponge in the garage, Teh sponge is the cheap bit it is the £60 for oil and £36 for the gasket!

Simon

Just had my se7en serviced by Redline *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup*, the car has just done 25,000 miles. The old sponge looked good to me.

But an oil filled sponge looks like a oil filled sponge to me. *confused* *confused* *confused* *confused* *confused* *confused*

Doug,

Su77on Se7ens

See our web site here.

Bugger...... I aint done it yet

I usually use shell gemini but I think this time i will use the Halfrauds synthetic as this is actually the comma synthetic in a different package not sure the price of that one but must be cheaper that shell.

simon

Doug: when my sponge came out it looked like an oil filled sponge but felt quite brittle. Hence I think it might break-up with the vibrations.

It was suggested that if they do break up then bits go walkies round the engine and that would not be great. In reality I don't have a clue what damage it would do.