Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fuel Gauge

MJW16

Hi all,

My fuel gauge has broken and I need to source a replacement. It's for a 91' Supersprint so the older VDO type, black face and bezel.

I've asked S&C but they don't stock them. They've suggested redline components, so I've just sent them an enquiry. 

in the meantime I thought it might be worth a post here on the off chance somebody might have one they'd be happy to sell?

Thanks

Mike

Sorry guys I should have explained myself a bit better there.  It's more of a physical breakage.  Both the gauge and sender work fine, however...

The previous owner had installed a stack Lambda gauge in the dash where the fuel gauge should be.  Fuel gauge had been put in a pod/cylinder mount screwed to the top of the tunnel in front of the gearstick.

The Lambda gauge digital display was broken and I didn't see much point or benefit to it anyway.  So I thought I'd tidy things up a bit and put the fuel gauge back where it should be.

Lambda gauge removed from the dash no problem, not so lucky on the fuel gauge.  It looks like it's been put in the mounting with superglue, and in my efforts to 'ease it out gently' it's broken fairly catastrophically.

One of those jobs that falls in to the 'I wish I hadn't started this' category!

Mike

FuelGauge.jpg.23c660b04cf3ac4bf9298da7368d2d25.jpg

Update:

I managed to get the gauge out of the pod mount and scrape all the grip fill off without damaging it too much more. Reattached the needle and confirmed fully functional. The damage to the casing is almost completely hidden by the internal bezel, so I've got it back together and in its rightful place in the dashboard via the gifts of phase tape and superglue. It'll do for now. Managed to tidy up a few accessible wiring horrors whilst poking around under the dash too, and move the kill switch to a better spot so that it doesn't get knocked off when steering. Sometimes the simplest jobs have a habit of snowballing don't they!

A job for next winter is a new dashboard (scuttle off etc) so I'll look at a better fix then.  For now, priority is to get it back on the road and enjoy.

On closer inspection, the temperature gauge has already been replaced by the previous owner for a newer VDO with the V-profile bezel (rather than square) and a red needle. So I've already got a bit of a mismatch going on.