Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Handbrake Cable Routing

O.G.

On my 360R SV I have discovered, while the boot floor is up the RH handbrake cable is bearing on the brake flexible hose. Not good.

I am in the throws of moving the cable to loop behind the hose but it's been there before and the clearance was not much then. Currently the cable is tie wrapped to the chassis diagonal and then loops around to the adjuster bracket.
Has anybody had this problem and can suggest a different routing or does any picture exist that will help?

O.G.

Yes in front of the brake hose is the correct location. It always looks badly placed until it's tensioned then your find clearance for the brake lines and the rear ARB mounts.

Don't fix the handbrake cable to the rear calipers unit they have been bleed and hydraulic pressure applied a few times.  If you have, leave them connected, but wind the caliper back using a wind back tool. Don't touch the handbrake leaver/adjust until the hydraulic brakes have been applied.

• Area Representative

Utilising tie wraps to attach the brake cable allows the cable to creep over time even if one thinks all is really secure. Not only can the cable interfere with the flexi pipe it can also migrate enough to form a nice groove in the rear edge of the anti roll bar blocks. The cable should naturaly be in front of the flexi pipe. It is hard for me to understand how it could end up behind it !

The looping of the cable should find it's own natural path when connected at both ends. Both sides should loop around drive shafts with clearance of De dion front face & adequately miss flexi brake pipe. There is a need to tie wrap at top rear inboard corner of diff carrier. This is adjustable with tie until correct routing is obtained.

Best option I have found is two P clips mounted vertrically about one third distance in from outer end of bar. Adjust as necessary to obtain good clearance then tighten up.

MoT inspector commented that the P clip option is better than the 'crabby tie wrap solution, looks more professional'.

The photos on the blog are either CC factory builds or my car prepared for IVA, which it pass on first presentation, before it had been to PBC.  PBC was carried out post IVA, no remediation work identified.  This is obviously only at that point in time, so unless it's reverted back to P clips since, tie wrap must still remain the recommended advise during build.

I also prefer the P clips, but we can't recommend that for a new build.

• Area Representative

My previous comments probably date back to when test stations weren't quite so joined up and some of the requirements were down to the individual tester. 
Surprised that cable ties are more acceptable than something with nuts and bolts.