Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fuse / relay unit connectors

Wrightpayne

A99D3662-08EB-48CA-B516-DBFB0185B328.thumb.jpeg.dfa7370e33b38009eade0c8245ea5a46.jpeg I have a bit of heat build up on the main brown cable at the bottom of the fuse box - enough to melt the plastic on the fuse. (Brown / purple on the right)

Thinking of checking / replacing the connectors.

Anyone know which connectors are used / brand of the fuse box / relay holders? A friend had his loom remade using Ripaults fuse/relay units that look similar to mine so wondered if these are Caterham OEM?

• Leadership Team

Ian, the interlocking relay bases and terminals are available from Pole Volt. I added an extra base to integrate an additional relay into the loom to solve my k-series-click.

Stu.

The thick purple wire should be the supply to the whole engine loom. It usually emerges along the top of the engine bay bulkhead with a spade connector on it. As such it feeds not only the ECU but also things like the ignition coils and fuel injectors, also the fuel pump and the starter motor solenoid.

And yes there's a separate fuel pump fuse, but the feed is effectively through both fuses in series. From the battery current flows through the "ECU" 30A fuse out to the engine loom, to the fuel pump relay in the MFRU, then to the grey connector back into the vehicle loom, where it passed through the 15A fuel pump fuse on its way back to the pump.

I notice your label says 20A for the ECU fuse. I think Caterham uprated this to 30A. Certainly a 30A fuse is better here. What rating are you using? If it's still 20A, it might be getting a bit hot when starting but not actually for long enough to blow it?

Jonathan,

only extra is a 12v outlet and this is connected to and fused at the permanent battery live on the FIA switch, so I can charge the battery with the FIA switch turned off.

Andrew,

Yes I put a 30A fuse in some time ago after reading the advice on Blatchat. Just checking it again it doesn't feel quite right pushing the fuse in - seems tighter on one side.

I've now ordered some Ripaults connectors in various sizes from 12voltplanet so will see if they fit. I've checked the photos of the seven fuse box Vs Ripaults and they look near identical! 

Cheers

Ian