Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Led conversion

Nigel Blandin

Evening all, 

so, I have Caterham rear lights and JaL front indicators with the new JaL flasher unit.

however, whichever way you flick the indicator switch, all 4 corners flash!

hazard switch works fine.

the car is a 1990 Ford motor, so the old wiring loom. I have all cables identified and if you disconnect an green/white or green/red you do get the corresponding side to work in turn. 
it seems that as soon as you reconnect , the extra circuit( even not activated) causes all four to flash...

Could it be the flasher unit? A bad earth( just thought of that so will check now) or something Ihave missed?

Ha! The power of Blatchat!

Quick search and a fantastic video posted by Doug at JaL and voila! I need a couple of ballast units on the indicator circuits to counter the low demand of the LEDs.

Posted by Doug of JaL a couple of years ago;

Hi Tom,

The problem is with the wiring with the indicator lamp on the speedo as it does not have its own earth. Therefore you will get 'sympathy flashing' where both front indicators flash together. As far as I am aware this is on all Caterhams produced before 2001. I have also seen the same issue replicated with owners using a stack dash. 

Here is a very interesting video clearly explaining the problem and why the front indicators may flash together due to the light on your dash. ​https://youtu.be/auLY6IYeqcI?t=466(link is external)

The video states that front and rear LED lights are affected by this. Rear LED lights on Caterhams are unaffected by this but still require a relay specifically for LED lights.

I hope this helps.

Doug

Just Add Lightness
High Performance LED Lights & Accessories for the Caterham 7
​www.justaddlightness.co.uk(link is external)

February 2022

Yes thanks. As I am still in Jersey, I now have the annoying wait for delivery which is supposed to be Saturday, but will more likely be Tuesday. On the boat with the car Wednesday.

I think I can just run with the light disconnected to test the car out for now and hook it up on arrival.