Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cam Belt Change

SPW

Just about to do a cam belt change on my 1.6 K Series. Just wondering, what is the general view of also changing the water pump at the same time as a precaution?  No issues with it the but car is 20 odd years old with 30k miles on the clock, also planning a coolant change so not much more effort to change the pump at the same time.

There's a fair bit on this in the archives. IIRC it boils down to it being generally a good idea to either inspect or replace, but to make sure that the new one has some crucial bit made of the right material, and the part number equivalent alone not being enough to guarantee this.

(See also recommended belts and tensioners.)

Jonathan

Just had mine done, 1998 1.6 K Supersport. Had the water pump replaced as well as I think It was probably the original pump and belt. From reading lots about it he consensus seems to be to replace it.

Got all the correct parts from Oilyhands. Very quick delivery!  He also does custom cam shaft oil seals, one of mine was leaking slightly so I had them both replaced.

I thought it better to do all the things that may need doing as didn't want to have to take off the belt again to do the pump or the other oil seal.