Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Inertial Reel Harness

Skorn

This may be a bit of a weird question, but are there any harnesses around that have intertial reels for the shoulder straps, thus allowing you to lean forwards during normal driving?  I only mention this, as the plane that I fly for work has fixed harnesses for the lower three straps, but the top two are intertial reels.  They can also be locked out if necessary (in the plane it's so that if the pilot become ill or incapacitated, they can be locked away from the controls).

I fly the A320.  It would make checking over the shoulder easier, and maybe I'd be able to reach the heater adjustment without undoing the entire harness.  It's not massively inconveniencing, but I thought I'd enquire if such a thing existed.  Another nice feature which would be good is if they had the ability to undo only the shoulder straps whilst keeping lap straps done up (again like in an Airbus.  We normally just have the bottom 3 of 5 straps fastened while in the cruise.).  All this is wishful thinking I guess *smile*

Thanks.

Yes, shoulder checks are... interesting. They can often be improved with different mirrors.

The heater knob can be brought nearer with a stand-off pillar:
https://www.caterhamlotus7.club/forum/techtalk/trouble-reaching-heater-control

Jonathan

PS: If I were setting off down this road it would be a lot easier with a Y top strap and one reel than two reels.

• Area Representative

I love this idea, there are frequently junctions which instead of being at 90 degrees are acute so you are trying to look past the rollover bar, for these I loosen one shoulder strap but inertia reels would be great.  Also useful when your junction is surrounded by parked cars.