Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Engine/Gearbox/Diff removal advice

Eriedor

I'm about to embark on removing the engine, gearbox and diff from my 2002 kseries superlight 7 (R300 spec, RBTB, dry sumped). I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to the mechanical side of owning a Caterham, and I'll be time constrained so I want to be fully prepared ahead of starting. Looking for advice on the following:

1. I have a halfords 200pc toolkit and will rent an engine crane. Any other tools I should acquire ahead of the procedure that will help?
  2. The car will soon be exported to Canada where for the next ~2 years access to a workspace to do big maintenance jobs will be tricky. What proactive maintenance should I do whilst everything's out so the next couple years of running is smooth sailing? Currently planned - DVA Power upgrade (inc new belts and gaskets etc), R&R rebuild of gearbox and diff, new clutch, new waterpump, dry sump scavenge pump rebuilt. 

Please let me know if you'd like an Assembly Guide.

"I have a halfords 200pc toolkit and will rent an engine crane. Any other tools I should acquire ahead of the procedure that will help?"

A load leveller for the crane. 

Engine brackets or straps or whatever.

A suitable jack, NB low entry needed for a Seven.

Axle stands.

Drip trays or containers.

Little magnetic dishes for holding fasteners. Followed by self-sealing plastic bags.

Plugs for the exposed fluid apertures.

Socket(s) for the rear hub nuts if they're coming off.

Camera and notebook/ smart 'phone.

Labeller.

Access to BlatChat.

The Register of Equipment for Loan.

Jonathan

That's a comprehensive list from JK.

Re dismantling, there's a short Guide for K-series cars.  There's also a Duratec Guide, which may well include some general hints and tips. 

Re proactive maintenance, be sure to check your CRB pre-load (if you haven't already).  Renew the cambelt tensioner (unless DVA has included that -- which no doubt he has).  Also, it would be a good time to fit heat insulation in the transmission tunnel.

JV

Great idea on transmission tunnel insulation, is there a guide or thread I should look for advice on that one?

There's a thread here that includes my own experience fitting the insulation kit.  That was for a metric S3.  I imagine your 2002 chassis is imperial?  If so, I don't know whether the metric kit will fit.  No doubt CC will advise.

JV