Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bare / polished Aluminium and wrap removal on an ex-Academy car - advice sought

heptagon

My ex-Academy car currently sports a wrap and some stripes, been on for about 4 years (1 year in my ownership).  Now toying with the idea of going bare or polished aluminium for a change, would be much like the Superlight Twenty I think for a while if I do it.  I might even just remove or change the stripes at first as that would also dramatically change the look.

Anyone gone this route and share any thoughts, I will go through the archive on the technical aspects of wrap removal and polishing the aluminium (I have a polisher).

I guess I should expect to see some old dings showing up, so should be prepared for that and there is certainly a mark in the back panel that the wrap hides well.

When polished does the bodywork come up in consistent finish across the different panels? If anyone has any photos of their bare metal cars I'd be interested to see.

The car I've just bought is mainly ali with painted nose cone and wings. When I got her there were bits not well enough polished in my view so I armed myself with some Autosol and that really did the trick. She has come up beautifully and I love the look of the car. I'll take some pics later. As I believe you can ceramic coat ali I'll probably do that too as I have loads of Gyeon Q2 Pure left over from my last car. And that worked brilliantly.

Unless you really love polishing (or don't mind the unpolished aluminium look) don't do it. It's a mammoth amount of work to keep it shiny. Of course if you're one of those weirdos who obsess about "detailing" and have a shelf full of product, you'll probably love it. Probably won't have any time to drive it, though.

Check your browser bookmarks. If 10 or more of them are for car cleaning / polishing sites, then yes - it's for you. Otherwise it isn't.