Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bogs and spits back through TB's, (Blacktop + K3 +Jenvey TBs.)

Nigel Riches

Hello good 7 folk. The maps and such like are inherited from previous owners.

I am a real numpty at this ECU engine tuning malarkey, and not confident or familiar with the dark and mysterious ways of laptops / P.Cs. 

Anyway, the old girl is now road legal, so time to get it too run better.

So. I have balanced the TB's, at around 6Kg/hr, (thanks Oily hands) followed the words for TPS alignment, things did improve a bit, the map I have indicates that there was a 2 deg. retard to the ign. (why?), so I went to the Live Adj screen and added back 2 deg.

Off down the road, bog, push clutch add more rpm, let up clutch some bogging and some spitting through the TB's and a lot of jerky kangarooing, until it gets above about 1500rpm.

So, back to the shed, Live adj. screen click in a bit more fuel, I could hear the engine note change as fuel was added or removed, I set it to the point which gave the most even idle.

However the bogging and spitting continues, so I am obviously not in the right area with this. I understand that the changes on the screen have to be applied to the ECU press "Enter" yes did that.

The IAT sensor was set to "Custom" which according to the Live Adj screen and my thermocouple readout were at variance , so set back to "Default" this got the IAT signal back closer to the ambient, but no change to the running. 

There has been a lot of work to the cylinder head, not to improve the "Go" but to try and cure the coolant ejection problem, that is now cured, jettisoned the Raceline water rail, reworked back to Henry's way of cooling system. However the intake trumpets are now 90mm long, against the previous app. 35mm, would this have some bearing on this problem.?

I am in way out of my depth here, a further problem is I don't have an O2 sensor hooked up, so am driving blind, but in the dim dark carb. days spitting back and bogging were fixed with a twist of the screws on the carb, or a different jet and a tweak to the dizzy, happy daze.

Any assistance greatly appreciated, and apologies for the long tale of woe.

All is not lost as there is a dyno 35km down the road, but the driver hasn't a lot of experience with the Emerald ECU, so could be a learning curve for both of us.

Cheers. 

Nigel.

If you are going to diy the tune you really need a wideband O2 sensor. The Innovate MTX-L is an all in one solution or there is the simillar  AEM 30-4110 Digital Wideband UEGO AFR Gauge.  I think the Emerald can log the offset from target AFR, then you can adjust accordingly. 

You only really need it to get a working tune, then you can sell it on. 

If you are able to log the Emerald ECU outputs to a laptop and configure the Lambda sensor parameters in the ECU, you may want to use the Innovate LC-2 system as opposed to MTX-L, so you can log the wideband values together with all the other ECU values and display together to a passenger watching the outputs on the laptop while you drive. You would swap the existing narrowband Lambda sensor and its feed to the ECU, for the wideband one, in this case.

Cheers Bob, if it needs an O2 probe, which it sounds like it does for target AFR, I'll have too splash some more cash, open garage door, throw in money.

However it would be a step in the right direction. And having had a dig around 'tinternet, the Innovate stuff is much less eye watering out there than here in NZ.

Still not heard back from the dyno outfit, seems to have gone dark on me.