Click here if you are having website access problems ×

For Sale FOR SALE: Caterham 21 - no.5

Paul_Hedley

IMG_20190722_110651252_HDR.jpg.898c9447d71764c04592599b6bd7d647.jpg

1997 Caterham 21

Red (the colour that best sets off the stunning shape)

2.0 Vauxhall ‘Red top’ engine – 187bhp (rolling road tuned by the two Steves) on Emerald K6 ECU

Genuine 59k miles

Top end refresh (new cams, buckets and springs) in 2016

Two sets of wheels – original ‘21’ 16inch wheels (shod with very little used Yokohama Advan Neova tyres), and lightweight 15inch Caterham Orcus wheels (shod with Uniroyal Rainsport tyres).

Caterham leather seats (completely re-upholstered by Oxted Trimming)

Interior retrimmed by Oxted Trimming

Headlights replaced with clear lens Wipac units, greatly improving the beam pattern and night-time usability of the car

New stepper motor dash instruments, allowing speedo calibration for different sized wheels, and much more accurate readings. LED change-up light, and LED warning lights on new dash panel

SPA digital gauges for Oil (temp and pressure), water temp and voltage

Chassis no.5 of the very short run of these special and individual cars. Vauxhall engine suits the car well (the original demonstrator had a VX) – quick enough but tractable and easy-going at low revs, but hot cams make it really shift further up the range. Was in decent nick when I bought it 7 years ago from Sevens and Classics at Brands Hatch, but now runs much better than before thanks to the remapping work, and various elements of tidying up and replacing wiring and electrical elements. All of the work done on the car since I have had it has made it a better and more usable car, which is after all, what the 21 was supposed to be. Large lever arch file of paperwork covering (with a short gap against a previous owner) the entire history of the car from original order paperwork to most recent parts and servicing.

Two small star cracks in gelcoat on bonnet (caused by a previous mechanic who refused to accept responsibility), but apart from that, bodywork is in pretty good order for a 25 year old car. Kept garaged, and looked after in recent years by Peter at Spy Motorsport. Genuine reason for sale (and I’m worried that I might regret it ….).

Lots of photos available (including underneath etc)

Offers over £20k
paulshedley@gmail.com
07775 675401