Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Techcraft or Raceco??

chrisd

John - www.raceco.com

While I'm here, does anyone have a 'real' name for Ammo, so that I don't feel a fool on the phone asking for Ammo

sorry Ammo if you're reading and are really proud of your blatchat name 😬

Chris

Edited by - chrisd on 2 Apr 2003 17:37:40

Go with the Raceco. You won't be dissapointed. So Light (Titanium one anyway)and very quiet, or so it seems after clapped out 5" Caterham one. Its also beautifully made. As Graham Hill once said if it looks right it probably is right. 😬

I haven't really seen any good answers to the question "How quiet?" yet, so I'll repost this from an earlier thread:

--

Last time at Hethel I was 107dB at 5000. This time 98.3 (although in fairness it was nearer 4500 this time - I am getting better at being noise tested!). All thanks to my rather sexy new titanium Raceco silencer.

I was worried it would now sound too quiet (I like setting off parked car alarms) but from the driver's seat it doesn't sound too different. Very pleased with it all round - feels amazingly light considering it is much bigger than the one that came off (4kg vs 6) and it also bolted straight on.

--

5k miles on and still no complaints. This is on a Vx HPC. The "search" facility is very useful by the way - most things have been answered before.

Ben

First of all thanks to everyone who has given the Raceco silencer the *thumbup*.

Mike and I have worked very hard to make a product we would like to buy. The silencer has gone through a lot of changes and was run on the road for 10,000 miles before being released. My philosophy is to make the best and to do no warranty work. Warranty work doesn't put a roof over you head. If you do have to do warranty work, do it promptly, so the customer will sing your praises rather than slag you off.

In Mike (Metal Mickey) Riley I have found the perfect partner. An excellent craftsman, an honest man and a good friend. Although the price tag on the silencers is not exactly cheap I think that they are good value as no expense has been spared and no corners have been cut. We don't make that much money on the silencers but it gives us pleasure to produce something that people appreciate. Mike charges me less than he should for the labour and often puts aside better paying work to meet customer's deadlines. Mike is definately over-qualified to make silencers as he restores £1,000.000 classic cars for people all over the world to a standard that has to be seen to be believed. He has a sort of Caterham disease that makes him make irrational business decisions when it comes to Sevens (thankfully).

As for my real name, it is Amedeo Castellani. A good friend nicknamed me Ammo and it has stuck. Everybody calls me Ammo. Apart from the wife who calls me AMMO! when I have done something she doesn't approve of 😬 😬 😬

Chris D

By all means call me Ammo if you decide to call.

Thanks again people.

AMMO

• 2 weeks later...

Just to bring this full circle- I had a Raceco silencer fitted today. It puts my car to shame 😳. I have to say thanks to Mike and John(?) for their craftsmanship. The weather was great for the drive through the Peak District. All told, a very good day.

Cheers to all concerned

Chris