Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Techcraft or Raceco??

chrisd

OK - time to bite the bullet and replace my silencer, or not get on any tracks this year. I know a lot of posts have recently been about exhaust systems, but can anyone give advice about the pros and cons of repackable silencers, esp from techcraft and raceco, as they seem about the same price. Or are there any others I should consider for my 1800 x/f??

cheers

Chris

I've got a "Goodwood" long Techcraft 6" silencer for my 1800 Xflow which seems to be fairly good, although it's still quite loud a lot of the noise if coming from the carbs due to the 264Cam I'm running...

The Raceco ones are lighter I believe and I guess they do long/big ones, depending on what cam you're running I'd get the biggest silencer you can lay your hands on!!

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Why not cut away the existing box and make it repackable. All you need is a local fabrication shop to roll you up a sleeve out of Ali that will fit over the ends of the existing box. The sleeve can be held in place with self tapping screws, save yourself £300.

Chris,

Fitted a 6" Techcraft silencer a few years ago and this got the noise level down from 110db to 95db (mind you the old 5" caterham silencer was almot 'empty' 😳). Have only repacked it once in 10,000 miles. Last time it was checked at Castle Combe in October 2002 it came in at 100db but a few months earlier it was only 95db. It seems to me that there is too much discrepancy on the accuracy of the meters, the ability of some people to use them properly and also the location of the noise test. But generally I have to say I'been happy with the Techcraft

Chris Alston

1800 Supersprint - Loud and Proud 😬 ...well it only sounds fast officer 😳

Brooklands aeroscreens for those........flies in the teeth moments *eek*

Drive it like you stole it! *cool* *thumbup*

My oldish repacked techcraft 6" came in at 104dB at Lydden on Sat. This is with VX race pipes and throttle bodies. It's perforated tube is rattling about inside and I plan to weld the front end fixed in to solve this.

MSA limit is 108 so quite ok...

I have a bolt on rear box etc for the whisper events but would never plan on doing any of them though!

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Photo's of the year here

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

Raceco

Not sure about noise levels yet its only done Llandow but made to measure looks good and is extremely light.

Sounds good when in the car but according to others sounds even better and different to others when listening to the car from trackside.

MY 51VEN - SLR

Give it some WELLY!

No Limits,

Can you get it measured? This would be a very useful comparison for me as we run the same cars. My standard silencer seems to give 102/103db at 4500 which makes me reluctant to front up a non returnable £xoo for 100db track days.

I put a posting on here yesterday under "noise" to try and get some guidence.

I believe that Techcraft silencers are not neccessarily car specific. This means that an adapter pipe from collector to inlet pipe is needed and there isn't a bracket welded on to secure the back.

Raceco ones are not only Seven specific but Ammo prefers to tailor them to individual cars and although I don't know too much about their relative noise outputs I'm sure the Raceco ones are significantly lighter and probably less restrictive. Care may need to be taken if the larger diameter is ordered as ground clearance can be an issue on both.

Raceco are superb. I had mine fitted in the depths of winter. It makes the car much quieter. The biggest shock to me though was the weight saving. The silencer is feather weight!! Raceco are really helpful as well. "Metal Mickey" is a sound guy who made a super "factory job" job of the fitting.

Highly recommended.

Andy W7 VHP

Just fitted a Hayward & Scott to mine and I second Aves comments, it is well made, well finished and fits straight on to the existing collector and side bracket with no further mods or additions necessary.

Brent

7 not now in so many bits 😬

I have a Techcraft and have no problem with it but a close friend (Foxy Smith) made his change after over, after I did, and by then Raceco were available and he follwed that route!

If I had the choice to do it again I'd go with Ammo's crowd. Lighter, effectively made to measure and, without a machine to record, appear quieter.

Foxy Smith and I live in the same W. Sussex village - when I leave this village, Foxy knows!

When he goes out, I only know if he comes up the hill to see me!

... and its lighter. If some one offered me a good price for my little used Techcraft, I'd jump at the chance to go the Raceco route.

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 222bhp Sausage delivery machine

I had my first run with my Raceco on Sunday night and it was so quiet that I could hear the tyres making a sort of "separating velcro" type sound...... also had the change light on in 6th so I'd say it helps the engine breath, definitely v quiet, and superbly made *smile*

Lawrence

Hi, ran 7" techcraft with Rob's new engine and could just get through Goodwood ! Suspect main problem though is indiction

Pinky now has the silencer, which is very well made and did not need re-packing after limited use on track and trip the LeMans.

The unit is quite large and heavy and I am going Raceco route for new silencer. Nothing against Techcraft which did the job, they even do a larger 7" Goodwood one, and no spliting of welds

I did have Seven Workshop make up a bracket to hold the silencer in place better than the std type fitting.

Give Ammo a call before you do anything

Anthony

VX the real way sideways