Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Can’t move drivers seat

Paul N

Hi All,

Hope you can help?

New 420R delivered yesterday has standard leather seats, can move passenger seat but can't adjust drivers seat backwards or forwards, pulling lever upwards & any angle I can but nothing, any advise on what I'm doing wrong would be appreciated. 

If I need to remove seat is it just a case of slackening the 4 nuts from underneath the car?

Many thanks

Caterham seats are stiff awkward buggers to move at any time. This gets worse the more you drive the car as all manner of grit and grot ends up in the runners jamming them up further. My method is to remove the seat cushion so you can see the seat frame, and that the seat-release lever is pulled / pushed until it disengages from the runner. If the leaver does not move out of the runner slot, then that needs investigation / persuasion. If it does, then hit the frame with a rubber mallet in the direction you wish the seat to move. It will most likely nudge along in 3-5mm jolts. Spraying the inside of the runners (through the small holes) with lubricant might help, but this can cause further clogging later. 

Thanks gents, just returned from the garage, problem solved, removed seat base, release mechanism stuck in rail, moved it out by hand, tapped frame with rubber hammer, got the extra inch of legroom I needed to fit the car *laugh*

The power of the forum, thank you

One thing I have found with the Carbon tillets fitted in my 420R is that the release leaver does not lift high enough to release the catch, especially if you have lowered floors (as I have) and have the seat forward.  In this case the lever lift is restricted by the cross-member which is slides below.

To cure this I put the seat back as far as was possible,  raised the lever as far as it would go, put a wooden block underneath to wedge it in the high position and then bent the lever downwards towards the floor.  The lever is quite strong so needs a good push.  When you have done this remove the wooden block.  The lever is much closer to the floor and may even be touching it, but you will now have enough lift to ensure the locking peg is freed from the slot in the runner.

I can now easily release the runner lock even if the handle is beneath the cross-member.

Colin

• 2 weeks later...