Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Pitfalls of converting from a K1400 -K1800

CHRIS CLARK

I'm sure I will be corrected if wrong but I think converting from 1400 to 1800 is a much bigger job than 1600 to 1800 because the bores are different, in the former the stroke is longer but the bore is the same.

I think that I would search around for a crashed 1800 donor and spend time and money in doing it up while keeping the 1400 going, then swapping. I was tempted with this scheme as I have spent 3 months on a substancial rebuild but luckily for me it has coincided with most of Worcestershire being under water so it hasn't mattered too much.

Good luck with the enterprise.

• Leadership Team

Hi Chris,

Mine's not converted yet but things are coming together with the detail. I'm going to "crate" the 1400 engine to go back in the car when I sell it (or to go with the car when I sell it) because the chasis and engine numbers match.

I hopefully have an engine lined up which is currently in a 7 being modified to a guicker spec. Bigger valves, cams etc, etc. The only area in question is whether the injectors from my 1400 will flow enough fuel for a modified 1800. Are they the same? Can anybody help on this one? They're going to be used with Jenvey DTH throttle boddies.

I've also been advised to obtain the engine loom for an 1800, although possibly once you change the injection and the Mems unit this may be less relevant.

Keep us all posted!

Stu.

Anything can be converted, it just depends on how much knowledge & patience you have. Firstly the 1.4K block, as supplied by Caterham, was the old "wet" linered version which cannot be upgraded with a simple liner/piston/crank change. So unless Arrowstar have come up with a "fix" you will need a new "damp" linered block. Secondly quite a bit of machining needs to be done to the doner block to make the starter motor fit (taking away the engine number; think on that!). Thirdly there is an issue on which flywheel to use with the 1.8 engine (probably wont fit Caterham bell housing but can't remember exact detail); no problem with the 1.6. Thankfully the cylinder head is common with 1.4, 1.6 & 1.8. However if you can get a VVC head this is the route to go minus the VVC bits. I assume you're ditching the Rover MEMS in which case you can forget about the Rover immobiliser. I went down this route last Winter in changing from 1.4 to 1.6. Biggest problem (apart from the crank breaking on the doner engine)was the coil. The 1.4 uses a conventional coil whilst the 1.6 & 1.8 use a more modern electronic coil. It took ages for this to dawn on us. No problem in sourcing the coil but try getting the plug on its own! Initially Caterham wanted to sell a new loom but after a bit of arm twisting supplied the plug. The loom had to be modified (done by Southern Carbs) to link up to the injection along with a new crank sensor. I'm using the Piper BP270H (hydraulic)cams in a standard head with Jenvey throttle bodies controlled by a GEMS ECU, although the Emerald is flavour of the month. Both these ECU's are plug compatable with the Rover MEMS. On the subject of injectors, I don't think there are any problems in using 1.4 injectors in a 1.8 engine. If you do everthing yourself then look on a budget of about £3000 for engine, cams, ECU & throttle bodies.

Good luck.

Mick.

Mick.

Thanks for the info. very imformative. I have come to some of the same conclusions myself re. ecu's etc. This wasn't the Jim Whiting 'project' job was it? If so, I have heard some of the horror stories already. Would make a good article for Low Flying.(I'm doing my best Mr Roger G !!!)

I may try and stay with some head work and retain the injection side. We'll see what transpires in the near future!

Chris,

I think you have missunderstood me. I said the injectors would be OK for 200Bhp you would still need to change the induction to TB`s to get that kind a power. I have done an article for Low Flying on my 186 BHP K read that, it should be in the next issue "Mr Green ????"

I've also just gone through a similar upgrade path to Mick, only the mechanicals were done by Ratrace and I think I've gone a bit more "extreme".

I've been promising to get details up to a few people for a month or so now (here and on the se7ens list) and will try and get something down in writing this week. I've finally taken photos of the whole installation which I'll also aim to get scanned in this week and possibly sent to SimonS if he's willing to take them...

Long and short of it is that I now have an 1800K that gave 194bhp on Emerald's rolling road (for comparison with the Sevens in January's CCC article).

However as the target was 200+ I'm not yet finished! Mr Walker reckons that some changes to the timing should see further gains so I'm going to look at doing this over the next month or so too.

If anyone wants specifics I'm more than happy for you to mail me. I have all the invoices for the work carried out so can give pretty good indicative pricing of parts (and labour if you're mechanically as inept as I am)...we also had a number of problemettes, the solutions for which I will be eternally grateful to Dave Andrews for, in addition to all the info, help and advice he, Mike Bees and PeterC gave.

With any luck I'll be at the next Surrey meeting and hopefully the North Kent one too (house duties last night unfortunately).

C7 AJM