Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Yokohama A048R Tyre width

Shaun_E

• Support Team

OK more tyre stuff - sorry!

Have now spoken to XSportRacing who are the only ones with A048R tyres at the moment. I need 13" tyres but they only do this in 175/60. Has anyone tried these? I was running 185/60 A021R's and am reluctant to go to a smaller width tyre.

Are there any 13" A021R's left in the country?

It's looking more and more like I'll have to get CR500's.

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Not sure, as I've got 13" 70 profile and 14" 60 profile, and that makes it pretty much the same diameter tyre. I find the 13"70s give a slightly "softer" ride , but as my 14" 60s are still *mad* Michelin Pilots which are not known for grip then any other comparisons aren't going to be helpful.

Alan

N7CTR 1.8VVC

Edited by - aclucas on 31 Mar 2003 23:35:30

• Support Team

The 70 profile are unlikely to go under my front wings which are very close to the current (60 profile) tyres. I have been very happy with A021R's but would like something with even more grip and that might last a bit longer on a dry track. A048R's sound ideal but I can't wait for the 185/60 13" size to arrive in this country. I use the car on the road a lot as well (and through the winter) so don't really want to use A032R's due to their allergy to standing water.

So basically I have the choice of A021R in 185/60 13" from George Polley or CR500 from Avon or Caterham.

Next question is which size of CR500 would I need? I have 6 x 13" rims front and rear so do I get the 175/55R13 or the 195/55R13 or even 175 front and 195 rear?

Wow this is complicated!

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

The actual tread width of the 175/55 Avons is at least as wide as 185's from other manufacturers. Avon seem to make this up a bit - my "165" Avon wets are even wider.

The 175/55 CR500's are very low profile, however, while not an issue for hard use, this affects comfort on the road if this bothers you. On track, wet or dry, they are great - I find them far more predictable than 32's. and they give far more feedback, they make the steering feel lighter and more alive, 32's feel a bit dead.