Click here if you are having website access problems ×

inconspicuous white smoke from heating/heat exchanger

tuvok4711

Anybody an idea why there is a little bit of whitish smoke coming out of the top of that heat exchanger thing (in the engine room at the back of the dashboard) of my 1999 S3? Engine running idle for about 10 minutes; water temp was just about high enough for the fan to turn on. So nothing out of the ordinary in terms of hard driving or anything; rather the opposite.
Or was it maybe just some dead bug which may have been caught there and the decided to finally melt its way into paradise...?

Was it smoke or was it steam?  Was there any smell of burning?  Steam would imply a water leak from the heater pipes or matrix, smoke could possibly be a wiring fault of fan motor overheating.  The heater would not get hot enough for anything external (bugs or leaves) to burn

Jonathan: No, not smoking anymore because I turned it off and have not tried again since ;-)

Andrew, Scott: water leak seems plausible; thanks for the hint! I will try again and will be sensible in terms of smell, though. I'd rather take steam without smell than smoke with smell... 

One should be able to disassemble the heater to a have a look inside, right? Anything that comes to your mind in terms of things to be careful about if I try to disassemble? Or is it basically just some screws and stuff?

There are at least two types of heater. One has plastic rivets:
https://www.caterhamlotus7.club/forum/techtalk/heater-matrix-repair-replacement

Apart from the heater matrix there are several connections that have been repeatedly reported as leaking. Check the surface of spigots for smoothness, and you might need new clips and rings.

Jonathan

PS: It's always worth checking that the valve is fully opened and closed by the cable action. 

If it is a long time since the car has been run and/or the heater matrix has got wet due to ingress of rain (etc) then when the engine (water) gets warm it will cause the matrix to dry off - a possible reason for the fumes you are seeing.

I have seen similar coming from the main radiator on my car before now.

As others have stated above - there are other potential causes.

D