Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Genuine Caterham K-Series 1.8 SuperSport (140BHP) complete engine (Now Sold)

Graham King

I sold my K-Series Superlight a few years ago now, originally the purchaser intended to buy this engine but later changed their mind so I am now selling my old engine.

This engine was removed from my 1999 1.8K Superlight about 12 years ago, when I purchased a 2nd hand VHPD engine to replace it. It has since been stored covered in my garage, with all holes (exhaust ports etc)  either taped or covered using an alternative means. So as far as possible it’s been sealed. I have poured a little oil into the bores and turned it over manually, using a socket on the front crankshaft pulley, on a regular basis, it turns easily.  

Full spec below:

1.8 K-Series (EU2) Supersport – 140BHP

Approx 20K miles at removal

Caterham Lightweight Flywheel

Caterham Sump Pan

Vernier Pulley’s

Original SuperSport ECU (no remotes as these went with the car)

No ancillaries (e.g. alternator)

If I was buying this then before I put it into a car I’d replace the timing belt and pulley, I’d also remove the flywheel and replace the rear crankshaft seal. It would obviously be a good opportunity to replace the head gasket but I suspect not strictly necessary. Any purchaser would also need to programme any remotes to the ECU but I know there are people on here that can do that and also probably flash a better map on to it at the same time.

The buyer would need to collect as I have no way of transporting it, I’m based in the South East not far from M25 J6.  

I have found it very difficult to value this as I’ve never seen an equivalent for sale in recent times. But I think given the cost of the sump pan, flywheel and the verniers alone, then a price of £1250 for the whole package is a fair asking price.

I am happy to provide photos or further info to anyone that is genuinely interested.

Graham.