Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Titan diff oil change interval?

GulfSeven

The fact it's a BMW specific plug has no bearing on whether there will be clearance issues or not. You're not fitting it to a BMW; it's going into a backplate designed and made specifically for a 7 and the diff is of course fitted to a 7. 

From that image there's just as much chance of clearance issues as with the other plugs. Not that I'm aware of many having clearance issues, especially with the latest backplate, which you will have. 

That's probably just Ackerman effect from having wide tyres on a Porsche especially when manoeuvring.
The inside of tyre wants to turn more tightly than the outside of the tyre.. which it obviously can't so judders on the road surface. 

I changed my 420 Titan diff oil after its first 3000 miles and it was half bright blue and half dark. Very odd but two different colours not mixed.  
I presume mine has carbon plates but it wasn't that bad. 

22daz

• Area Representative

22daz #28 - monitor the oil closely as it appears to be going to the 'dark side'. This is an indication of carbon contamination which results in problems.

Just be diligent with all the checks: oil colour/condition, break way, any or all 'unreasonable' noises especially when maneuvering.

I know it may be a long boring read but there is an awful lot of info here, you just have to filter out what you require: 

BMW/Titan LSD Viability | Caterham and Lotus Seven Club (caterhamlotus7.club)

This also may help: BMW Differential Titan limited slip unit - how to check & protect while in service. | Caterham and Lotus Seven Club (caterhamlotus7.club)

• Area Representative

GulfSeven #25 - Apart from the original flush BMW diff plug I think clearance could be an issue. But this depends on the type of back plate. Early back plates with the angled plug do give De dion clearance problems when a Gold Plug is fitted. This requires re engineering of the hex head to achieve a safe clearance.