Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K-Series Engine Oil Leak

rpaulgreaves

Hello Everyone,

My 1.8 K-series developed an engine oil leak towards the end of last year.  There is no oil dripping down when the car is just sat in the garage, but after a run there are drops spattered on the outside of the drivers footwell and the back of the sump is wet. Oil appears to be coming out around the joint between the sump and the block just next to an opening to the flywheel.  I assume that air passing this opening is drawing out leaking oil onto the back of the footwell when the car is driven.  

So, I've dropped the sump and oil appears to be leaking down from the gasket joint at the back of the engine into the small cavity at the back of the sump (see photo below).

IMG_1728.thumb.JPG.c86787540aa24c5ce9401f4a2752f5f6.JPG I have have had a good look around the rear crankshaft oil seal which I understand can develop leaks, but it all looks nice and dry as is the flywheel (see next photo below).

IMG_1732_0.thumb.JPG.3241c8d3dae90e7ecb647cef33566fa8.JPG

The engine is the original one supplied with the car.  It was manufactured in 2004, but has only done just over 3000 miles from new as it took me nearly 10 years to get the car on the road (long story!). It has had annual oil changes since it went into service in 2013.

I know this topic has been covered before on Techtalk, but I was surprised that this has happened at such a low mileage.  It looks like a simple gasket change to fix the leak, but I would really appreciate it if anyone can offer any thoughts or advice. Thanks. 

In my experience it is unusual for sump gaskets to leak, I would check the crank seal very carefully and the bottom of the bell housing to see if the oil is from the first motion shaft seal. If it's gearbox oil then you should be able to smell the difference. Remove the foam and if you are changing the sump gasket buy one with my suggested extra drain holes (I keep them in stock if you can't find them elsewhere). Looking at the sump at the rear, the section of mating flange on the sump that mates with the block looks mighty thin where the recess is on the left hand side...

Oily